Sunday, 16 October 2011

Future Shade

Well, the blog is looking rather sad with the single post, so I figured I should probably add something else. I have no idea how much effort I'm going to put into this blog, considering I ste the whole thing up just to spend one post venting.

There are two things that make maintaining this blog look like a good idea:
1. I haven't finished the book which originally started it.
2. Spending a decent amount of time "talking" to myself under the illusion that someone else might read it is just as good a use of my time than anything else (especially just talking to myself without the illusion that someone else might overhear).

So in the spirit of maintaining this blog, I'll do some "normal " blog things, like reviewing one of my recently purchased albums: Future Shade by The Herd. Something a little more lighthearted seems a good idea considering that the next couple of chapters in "The Marketing of Evil" mention separation of church and state and abortion, which I'm scared will start an argument between all the people who aren't commenting on my blog.

Anyway, for a brief bit of background, The Herd is a fantastic Australian group, not to be confused by an older British group. The Herd have been around for 10 years as of 2011, making their latest release rather significant.

As far as I'm aware (being to lazy to even check Wikipedia. That's just sad.) The Herd have released 5 albums, 3 of which I own. When I say the genre, I know that the people who are hypothetically reading this will just zone out. Here goes: Hip-hop.

That's right. Well, at least it was. They all operate under Elefant Traks, which is a hip-hop label, but their latest release isn't quite what I would call "hip-hop".

Anyway, the other two albums by these guys are fantastic. The first one, An Elefant Never Forgets is a bit confused. There is everything on there from regular Aussie hip-hop alongside strange jazz and what sounds like Romanian folk music (in a good way, if that's possible). The second album by them which I own is called Summerland and to put it very frankly, they got their shit together. This is a well made hip-hop album with some of the greatest songs I have ever heard. The main thing about this group is that they have the regular rappers (Urthboy and Ozi Batla are two of these) as well as a regular female vocalist, like a "normal" band, who does not rap (Jane Tyrrell) who is phenomenal.

Now, the new album, Future Shade, is completely different. They have only one or two rap based tracks, focusing more on beautifully made peices which I can't really classify. They are slow, lovely songs with orchestral-esque backing and just some of the most amazingly different songs I have ever heard. For anyone interested in what I'm ranting about, look up the song "Sum of it All" by The Herd on Youtube or the like, although my favourite is a well made song very similar to the original works by The Herd, called "A Thousand Lives". So, Nonexistent readers, tell Youtube Hudson sent you.

The thing that separates this album away from many other hip-hop albums and sets The Herd apart from many other hip-hop acts (Please note averted pun: seperated from The Herd) is the presence of heart and meaning. Another hip-hop album I adore is State of the Art by the Hilltop Hoods, which is also (if the name didn't give it away) a hip-hop outfit. This album is well made, sounds great and sold very well, but the majority of the songs are just about getting (insert any of these words: drunk, high, laid, money (with one complete exception, which I'm sure I will have to talk about another time). The Herd manages to add a great load of meaning into an already impressive album.

All but one of the songs do it for me, that one track being "The Red Queen Theory" which, if you are in the slightest bit associated with Australian politics is about a certain red-headed female politician. (Please note: I am being vague because I don't truly know if it is about Pauline Hanson or Julia Gillard. Hanson is more likely to irritate people like the Herd, but Gillard is a bit more modern).

All the same, I recomend to the leagues of people not reading this blog, go out and buy a copy of Future Shade by The Herd (or download it). It is a bloody great use of your money. If you are interested, imaginary reader, Elefant Traks has just recently completed an 8 part series on the making of Future Shade. I recommend this to people too cheap to buy the album, as they play parts of the music in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment