Monday, 17 October 2011

Interacting With My Environment

I'm getting more and more attached to this blog. Talking to myself seems so much more trouble than just blogging. Especially when I can go back and see what topics I have already covered.

Now, to my imaginary readership, I would like to tell you about the city I was born in and currently reside in: Canberra.

Canberra, for those who do not know, is the capital city of a little place called Australia, yet is still rather small in comparison to many capital cities worldwide, with a population of just 350,000, which is small even by Australian standards. One thing that is unique about me is that this is the largest city I have ever been to. Most people I know have traveled to Melbourne or Sydney, but I have never really had a reason to go.

Anyway, back on topic, Canberra is a beautiful city with many famous landmarks and locations, but there is one thing about Canberra that is just wonderful.

Black Mountain Tower, which (as far as I am aware) can be seen from any part of Canberra. I can't say I have gone out of my way to se if this is true, but with the exception of the occcasional tall building or tree, this tower is always visible. It is strangely comforting to know that wherever you go in this city, you can always see one landmark.

Besides Black Mountain Tower there are many pleasant things about Canberra, but the main point I am trying to make is that locations are very interesting to me.

Books, TV, movies and even music that manages to convince me that I am in another location is among my favourite, as many imaginary readers may have gathered from my list of favourite TV shows. The X-Files is one great example of this. Just the way which Washington D.C is portrayed fascinates me, despite the fact I know perfectly well it was filmed elsewhere.

When I think of books which inspire the same feeling, none come to mind, but I'm sure there are some out there. Many books are set in locations, but the writers do not go out of there way to make the reader feel like they are actually experiencing living in a different city. Long passages of descriptions are not enjoysble, but the occasional detain here and there would not go astray. Saying at the beginning of the book "this novel is set in New York" is no good, if for the rest of the story the reader is allowed to inspect the interior of the protaganist's apartment. Just not worth reading, unless the plot is fantastic.


One example that finally springs to mind is The Great Gatsby, one of my favourite novels and the green light. I might be the only one, but the imagery of Jay Gatsby sitting out there, night after night, with the breeze, insects and his thoughts his only company just presents a perfect image. If a character is not going to interact with the location, there is no point in having a location. Just place your character in Genericaville or Repetition City. If your story is going to be character focused, remember: everyone interacts with their environment sometimes. The little touches make the difference. Stepping in gum left by the kids who walk by here every day on the way to school, finding a coin lying in a neighbours driveway after going for an afternoon walk, the coin hot from the day' sun. The character making a point of not interacting with the environment works in exactly the same way. Choosing not to go for a walk because of the freezing wind, or the character closing the curtain to keep to glare off the TV. It all adds an extra element to any story. Just don't have a chapter of introductory description and then nothing. It just doesn't work. No-one takes every detail about a person or place in upon first seeing them. Add details as the character would notice them.

I'll be quiet now,

No comments:

Post a Comment