Sunday, 5 February 2012

So...

Four things.
Firstly, the reason I haven't updated for quite a while is that I have been out of state for about a month. When I got back, I was rather sick for a while and I'm not completely well yet, but I'm good enough.

Secondly, my review of the Hottest 100 of 2007will have to go on the backburner. I hate doing this again, but the main reason is that while I was sick, the library asked for the CD back. My own damn fault for not finishing the review earlier, but I'll try and track down the CD for actual purchase and finish the review, but I doubt that's going to happen any time soon.

Thirdly, in response to screwing myself over by twice trying to review CD's right before they were due back at the library, I'm going to start reviewing only CD's I own. The exception to this will be if anyone asks me to review a particular album/artist (Due to the fact there is no guarantee I would like the CD/artist enough to justify buying it). The main thing that will change is that I might actually review a few more CD's I enjoy, which is a shame. There seem to always be more ways of saying I hate something than saying I enjoy it. Never mind, I'm sure I'll scrounge up some shit I bought years ago.

Fourthly and finally, to anyone who has read a review on this blog before (and has probably stopped due to my complete absence during January), the fact I follow the Triple J Hottest 100 each year is far from obscure knowledge. On January 26th, the Triple J Hottest 100 of 2011 was held. The winner was Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye featuring Kimbra. Both of these artists are very talented and had seperate songs chart further down the list. It would have taken someone with either extreme loyalty to their artist or a lack of knowledge of Australian music to not have seen that song winning from as far back as August. My personal pick this year, Ballpark Music, did pretty well, placing 31st and 38th with It's Nice To Be Alive and All I Want Is You respectively. This is a nice step up from last year when my pick, Ozi Batla, didn't even place in the list. Later, I looked the positions 101-200. He wasn't even there, which is a little disheartening. I am looking forward to this years 101-200 positions being posted, mainly to find out where abouth half of my votes went. The sad thing about this years Hottest 100 is the fact that out of the top 10, I was familiar with two of the songs. I had heard another two once or twice, but I only knew the name and artist of two of the top 10 songs (Positions 1 and 10 if anyone is A) Reading this and is B) Curious about what songs I'm referring to.)

Two other things, which aren't important enough to warrant a separate posts or numbers at the top of this page. Firstly, I managed to acquire the three-isc version of Ben Folds' new album (which is actually consistent of mainly old songs) The Best Imitation Of Myself. It is a great album and I have considered doing a review, but three discs is a touch too much for me and also, one of the discs is only live recordings. Recordings of concerts are a pet peeve of mine. It is a bit better when they are professionally recorded, but if I wanted a recording of songs occasionally interrupted by applause of screaming, I think it would be a sign I didn't like the song that much after all. I understand the purpose of it, to try and capture the energy and atmosphere of a live show but it rarely, if ever, works that way. I may review a disc or two at some point in the future. We'll see.

Also, I have discovered, read from beginning to end and begun re-reading a fantastic webcomic called Something Positive by R. K. Milholland. It recently celebrated its 10th birthday, so go over there and read a fantastic comic.

H. Rourke

P.S. Happy 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment