Monday, 13 February 2012

Triple J Hottest 100 Of 2011: The Top Ten

I'm going to review this Hottest 100 in a slightly different way than the usual, mainly due to the fact that I haven't picked up a copy of the CD release yet. Instead, I'm going to listen to the Top 10 of the Hottest 100 and give my own views. Let's start:

10. I Love It by The Hilltop Hoods feat. Sia
I'm sure I've mentioned this song before, and it is nearly impossible for me to give any description of this song without stating how awesome both the Hilltop Hoods and Sia are. Sadly, this song is far from the best by either and I think it only really got to this position by good marketing and pity (the second reason is why it ended up on my shortlist). The song itself is about remembering your past and basically how much the Hoods like their life. Nothing wrong with that sentiment at all, and the Hilltop Hoods put their usual brilliant wordplay in the song. Sia, in my opinion, doesn't provide the best chorus ever, and much less than I expected, but it's good enough. The backing music too is good enough, but nothing special. Since I am going to watch all these videos on Youtube (as I don't own any CD's of them) I was going to also comment on the videos. So , of course,  Hilltop Hoods released three different music videos for their song, which is a very interesting idea. The one I watched was interesting, focusing on a child and a spinning diorama. Nice enough, good effects but nothing special.

75/100 - Not good, not bad, but I was expecting better.

9. Endless Summer by The Jezabels
This song is pretty simple. The singer really likes someone. There. Done. There's a lot of purple prose in the song, which isn't always a bad thing, but there is no narrative or character development or change in the entire song. The vocals aren't bad, the music is lacking very much and the lyrics are just there. The music video isn't bad though. The normal boy meets girl, with a country theme (so perhaps boy meets cowgirl is more appropriate). Boy then gets the stuffing beaten out of him by angry siblings/jealous suitors/people who don't like him for unspecified reasons. OK, that's a bit different, but has still happened before. The girl gets...a gun...and shoots the angry randoms? Kudos, Endless Summer. That's a new one. Oh, and boy and girl live happily ever after. Not a bad video at all.

73/100 - I know nothing about the Jezabels and songs like this show me why. The video does save it a bit.

8. Boys Like You by 360 feat. Gossling
360 isn't among my favourite Australian rappers, but he does a good job. Gosling, I don't know much about, but she has a very distinctive voice. It's the kind of voice I wouldn't want to listen to a whole album of, or even more than two or three songs of in a row, but she is perfect for a sample in a track, as she stands out. The song itself is about relationships breaking down, but I think there is a deeper message about not judging a book by it's cover. The music video just has Gossling singing between clips of 360 either acting out the song or trying to get some from a waitress. And the man gets paid for that. As a side note, I'd like to mention Youtube comments. I don't like many of the comments posted on the previous two videos, but they were either legitimate comments or made in good humour. The top comment of this video is  "your a faggot harry". Why thank you kilby666specialized (yes, the actual writer of the comment). That is the usual level of Youtube dumb-arsery. My question is how the hell did twenty people give it the thumbs up!? I just don't know.

80/100 - Not bad at all.

7. Awkward by San Cisco
Basic lyrics and a basic video, but one hell of a beat. The vocals and beat of this song are great, and this has to have the best beat so far. The song itself, like so many great songs before it, is about stalking. Yeah... moving on, San Cisco are a newish Aussie band which I am not very familiar with, but may just have to make myself.

84/100 - Nothing mind-blowing, but well worth a listen. It's definitely going on my Youtube playlist.

6. Video Games by Lana Del Ray
When I first heard the title, I was expecting yet another Art vs. Science or Presets wnnabe who made loud noises in alleged rhythm (please note previously mentioned bands do not fall into that category). What I heard was...amazing. Fantastic vocals, not much music, but enough to highlight how talented the artist is and good lyrics. The lyrics, in fact, are a bit strange. They are the kind you can translate as you desire. I find myself believing it is about a relationship that succeeds due to the simple desires of the two in it, but I'm sure anyone else who pays attention to the lyrics will come up with their own interpretation. The video was slightly different to what I expected, but I suppose that's because this is the first of the songs I saw with some kind of expectations. What I found was a vey well made video which accentuates the talent of the artist and extraordinary beauty of the song. Just fantastic.

90/100 - I only wish I had heard ths before the Hottest 100, so I could have voted for it.

5. Midnight City by M83
This is sort of what I was expecting when I heard the song named Video Games. This isn't to say this song is bad, just...cheaper. The song has lyrics I can make nothing out of unless I take them ultra-literally, in which case they make about the same amount of sense. The song itself is fantastic. I can't really describe it (yeah, bow down to my almighty reviewing powers. I can't even describe the frigging thing), but the song makes great use of distorted vocals, saxophone and god knows what other "instruments". The video for the song is a touch creepy, which takes it up a notch for me, despite looking like a teaser for the next season of Fringe.

81/100 - Not bad by any means, but I wish the lyrics had made more sense. I don't mind having to draw analogies and metaphors out of them, but the song has to give me something.

4. Feeding Line by Boy & Bear
This song had me just in he title. The concept of a feeding line instatly takes me to a dystopian future...but that might say much, much more about me than the song. The actual themes in Feeding Line are mainly changing who you are to fit in and the important moments in our life that shape who we are. The song itself isn't bad, but I don't think it's the best Boy & Bear song ever. The beat and vocals are OK, and I have to give some acknowledgement to any song that contains whistling. Whistling is just awesome. Not a bad song, but not quite good enough for position 4. The video is well made, if somewhat strange. The only thought I had throughout the video (and this may display my lack of knowledge regarding historical costume) was that if the cast from this music video kept walking, they'd probably eventually end up in the Jezabels' music video.

78/100 - There isn't that much to say. The song just seemed somewhat lackluster the entire time. Shame.

3. Brother by Matt Corby
Without a doubt, this is one of the most emotionally charged passionate songs I have ever heard. The vocals for this song are truly phenomenal, and perhaps the greatest on this list, perhaps equal with Lana Del Ray. The song is about cowardice, hiding from responsibility and the collapse of a friendship. The experience of this song is something incredible, and the fact there isn't even a video for it yet may actually work in its favour, as I truly doubt that any visual media can back up that kind of song. Maybe someone out there is doing the intelligent thing and not ever trying to. Bravo, if that is the case.  A fantastic song which more than deserves its position on the list.

92/100 - Well, something had to make up for a notable lack of awesome. Thank you, Mr Corby.

2. Lonely Boy by The Black Keys
There are many ways of beating around the bush, but I'll put this real simple for everyone: This song, in my humble opinion, truly sucks. How this song achieved the rank of 2nd in this great list will continue to baffle me for many years to come. The vocals are OK at best, the music is a dull screech, one similar to hearing TV static whilst having the TV on full volume. The lyrics tell a story about a generally screwed up relationship. There. Also, I can't find a video (not that I tried very hard) so I'm not going to look at that. Good day.

39/100 - I was feeling generous. At least the song is over now. It can't hurt me or my expectations any more.

1. Somebody Who I Used To Know by Gotye feat Kimbra
I've already talked about this song a few times (three to be exact), so I won't go into the artists, but I will go into the song. The video, to cover it quickly, is artsy enough to be unique, but is just a bit too simple for such a successful song. It's okay. The song itself is sub-par for what both Gotye and Kimbra have done even as recently as this year. The tune is unique, but unimpressive. The lyrics are pretty dull, although the vocals save them. All in all, this song should really be pretty boring, but I still get why everyone likes it.

68/100 - The defining song of the genre "Mainstream Mediocre". Congrats, Birds Of Tokyo. I brought you a friend.

Done, done and done. I may get around to doing the next 10, I may not. I may do a review soon, I may not. I may have already irritated you with my vagueness, but I'll keep doing it all the same.

I hope you enjoyed.

H. Rourke

No comments:

Post a Comment