I haven't heard anything worth reporting recently, so I figure I'll fall back on the old favourite off making lists no-one will read. Enjoy, nonexistent audience, please enjoy:
1. "Fifty In Five" by the Hilltop Hoods (2009)
I honestly can't believe I forgot this masterpiece during the previous list, for the simple reason that this is my favourite song of all time. This song has never been released as a single when it most certainly should have been. I normally don't offer links to other locations, but a fantastic blog post which covers almost everything I need say can be found here. I'll say nothing more than this song alone is why the Hilltop Hoods are my favourite group. Not to say they are not fantastic in their own right, but this song is what goes the extra distance.
2. "St. Elsewhere" by Gnarles Barkley (2006)
If you've seen my review for "St. Elsewhere" (the album), you'll probably be somewhat surprised by this choice. Although "Crazy" is my absolute favourite Gnarles Barkley song, closely followed by "Smiley Faces", I think this song deserves a place on this list. "Go-Go Gadget Gospel" is about the same quality, but slightly dancier. If you'd rather a song which invokes strange imagery, far off lands and a general feeling of mystery and confusion, this is the song for you.
3. "Addicted To Drugs" by The Kaiser Chiefs (2008)
I adore the tone of this track, facing a serious issue in a sarcastic, resigned manner. I think "resigned" is the key term, the lyrics, which are tragically few, tell the story of people getting stuck in a daily routine, with a chorus consisting of the phrase "You might as well face it, you're addicted to drugs." seemingly coming from nowhere. I think saying this song has a message would be pushing it, but I think they beat and presentation of the title phrase manage to take a lot of the stigma away from the matter. When artists make songs related to serious issues, they treat the issue ion a very sombre manner (such as "Brick" by Ben Folds Five, about an abortion). Some might say this is "being respectful", but I think it's just adding to the stigma of the issue, which prevent people being open about it. Anyway, good song.
4. "Election" by Eskimo Joe (2001)
Actually looking at the amount of singles I listen to, its kind of depressing how other people (other than the musicians) pick and choose what's on my playlists. Anyway, Eskimo Joe are an Australian band who have released many great singles, as well as a very well received album, which I do not possess. Instead, I have their two other albums which are far less successful, but still pretty damn good. The reason I love this song is the way it screws with your expectations. I don't think I'm the only person who expects a lengthy, ranting, politically motivated ballad, with a focus of lyrics over music. Instead, we get an amazingly short (23 words repeated three times) song, with a clear focus on music. What I think this song is attempting to say is how simple the political process should be, as compared to the present system. The music is strange and disjointed, showing a typical Eskimo Joe sound on top of showing just how different their concept of an "election" song is. I can't imagine many bands I listen to avoiding a political message altogether in a song called "Election"
5. "4th Dimensional Transition" by MGMT (2007)
Before obtaining Oracular Spectacular a few weeks ago, I had only really heard "Kids" and "Electric Feel" bu MGMT, but I found out that they really didn't offer a fair representation of the groups style. For example, both of those songs had some elements of traditional music. I have no idea what the fuck is going on in this tune. And it is fantastic. I can't help but think Muse meets Devendra Banhart. There is the sense of near desperation and utter panic present in the song akin to several Muse songs, but it kicks in with an instrumental set I can never imagine them attempting. Just insane, in a way that is well and truly worth listening to.
6. "Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll" by The Killers (2004)
In the same vein as several of my favourites, this song presents a bitingly sarcastic manner in regards to both the genre they represent and those who listen to it. This song isn't particularly cruel or angry, but just attempting to introduce a degree of self-deprecation to those who may be a little too proud of who they listen to. Ahem... Well, this song is fantastic for so many reasons: The beat, the size, the lyrics, the raw vocals... there is nothing truly bad I can say about this song. The only reason I hesitate to put it on this list is because it was released as a promotional single in the UK. That's far enough away not to count. Anyway, this song deserves an honourable mention on this blog in some manner.
No comments:
Post a Comment