Well, I haven't even looked at this blog for over a month, but I have a slightly more legitimate reason for this delay than just "I'm Lazy". Slightly. That reason is that I have been both drowning in work and moving. That is one hell of an unpleasant time-killer cocktail.
I will finish the previous post...eventually. But in the meanwhile, let me explain the six songs that represent moving this time. Why, yes,I have been reading Nick Hornby lately. Why do you ask?
1.One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces by Ben Folds Five (1997)
Well, this song was the last playing as I walked the last exact same way home. The actual song is one of Ben Folds classics, and although it did not get the popularity it deserved it is certainly one of the greats in my mind. the actual song is about a man who is angry with a group of people who teased him in school, claiming he is now wealthy and powerful, while I think it is pretty obvious he's full of it. In the liner notes from Ben Folds' retrospective album, he calls it something like the song to sing when you have a group of school bullies tied up in your basement.Honestly, the guy in the song sounds like he's about to do that. What relevance does this have to moving? None!
2. House by Ben Folds Five (2011)
Okay, this one is the most obvious moving song I have ever heard, and it just happened to be the last song I heard on the last night in my old house. That is just fate or something more reasonable, yet akin to it. The actual song is just about a terrible experience in a house, and how the narrator is sick and tired of it, refusing to ever go back in again. This song was one of the tracks newly recorded for Ben Folds retrospective CD last year, in which BFF reunited, and are now planning on releasing a new album. My theory on the song is that nothing that affected the narrator actually occurred in the house. He just had a terrible period of his life, and decided that the house was the only constant in his misery. This ties a lot back to my personal perspective. Even if a song is completely unrelated to an event, I will associate the two anyway, as long as they occurred at the same time.
3. Dead End Street by The Kinks (1966)
This is pretty much an anti-moving song, but it is still the song I first heard upon putting a earbud in my ear the morning of moving day. I think The Kinks are far too rarely heard of, when a lot of their messages are still very relevant. Also, Sunny Afternoon is one of the greatest songs of all time. Anyway, the first line is perfect, as there was a crack in the corner of my bedroom ceiling that was driving me fucking crazy over the previous three years
4. Ikea by Jonathan Coulton (2003)
Now, I'm a recent fan of Coulton, thus why he is previously unmentioned on this blog. If anyone is interested, This is the episode of Nash's Musical Chair which introduced him to me, despite the fact I had already heard "RE: Your Brains", his cover of "Baby Got Back" and "Creepy Doll", but I hadn't investigated further. For those who don't know, think Weird Al, but his own, better, music, a better voice and wittier.The song is basically making fun of Ikea and their customers, but I do like the idea of naming furniture. I do that myself, as it runs in the family. Presently, I'm writing on a laptop named "Thomas". This was the song playing as I finished helping throw the last of the crap into the truck. Yeah, a small feeling of success at getting half-way is good.
5. Underground by Ben Folds Five (1995)
Noticing a trend in the music I listen to? Yeah, me neither. Ben Folds fantastic derision filled look at "alternative" groups. This was playing upon first entering the new apartment with belongings in tow, which is always when you start looking at the house in a completely different light.If you were deluded with a picturesque home with space and natural lighting, this is when the vicious reality takes hold. Luckily, I thought the place looked incredibly small previously, so things changed for the positive.
6. Wandering by Ben Folds (2003)
I was really hoping to have some uber obscure song in this list, such as one of the "Fear of Pop" songs (a BFF side-project) I tracked down, or some cover no-one's ever heard of. Why? I'm a music snob. If you think anyone who isn't a music snob would have a blog dedicated to their opinion of music, you need help. This song is as close as I come. "Wandering" is taken from the 2003 EP "Speed Graphic" (the cover of which is my desktop background for my other laptop. His name is Maximilian, by the way). The actual song is about a relationship ending. A Ben Folds song about relationships?! How novel! Anyway, this is the big one. This is the first song heard as I sank into the couch upon moving everything in. This is probably the song I'll remember for the apartment.
H. Rourke
P.S. For anyone who's interested, the previous three residences are:
"I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz
"Chase That Feeling" by the Hilltop Hoods
"Fire" by Kasabian
No comments:
Post a Comment