So, before the first entry into this series, let me give a quick overview of what I'm trying to achieve and what I'm going to try to do to get there.
I've heard it often said, and have said it myself, that Australia is a nation without a culture. Sure, we have stereotypes, some of which we support. Australians throw shrimps on the barbie (we call them "prawns", for the record), all live by the beach (I live in the national capital, which is inland), enjoy the constant warm weather (it reached a peak of 11 Celsius today, or 51F for you Americans (happy 4th of July to you guys, by the way)) and are all English speaking white people of English descent (43% of Australians have a parent born overseas, and not all of them are English. For fuck's sake, the most famous graduate of my college was Jackie-fucking-Chan).
Despite most stereotypes of Australians being little more than pure bullshit, some ideas of what all Australians are have persisted, and I greatly want to look at these ideas, specifically those presented through music. Although music will be my launching point, most of these articles will probably be my opinion mixed with what proof I can find to back myself up.
What authority does my opinion have? Very little. I've lived every day of my life in Australia, and I have just concluded a survey course on the post-WWII history of the nation. Yeah, this should be taken only as really a uninformed opinion.
All the same, I want to make an Australian think a little more about what stereotypes are beginning to emerge that might be slightly more accurate than our tourism campaigns provide and to show international readers what Australian society looks like to Australians (for the most part).
Enough with the BS, on with the show.
My first quote comes from the track "It Doesn't Matter To Me" by Redgum, from their 1988 live album, Caught in the Act.
"It doesn't matter to me,
It doesn't matter to me.
I'll sit home and watch you all on my colour TV."
The target stereotype in a word: Apathy.
To make the blanket statement that Australian's "don't care" is a popular one, especially by political analysts in regards to the political system. This, obviously, varies from person to person. The three Socialist organisations in this city, one of which operates out of my University, instantly prove that at least some Aussies care. The issue here seems to emerge more out of political activists who wish to see their beliefs spread.
The issue, I feel, is one of comparison. Australians want to see a political society akin to America. Why? Well, firstly America is the society from which Australian culture has drawn the most influence since the Vietnam War. Secondly, there is a massive difference between American and Australian political systems. In Australia, voting is compulsory, so the American political requirement to make people vote at all is skipped over. The focus on individuals is also much less in Australia. For example, about a week ago the government replaced the Prime Minister in less than an hour due to internal dispute and declining popularity. Ever see that happening in America in anything short than an impeachment? Andrew Jackson says otherwise. This is obviously due to completely different systems of government, but Australian politicians still often seem to desire a more American government. I like this article for putting allegations of political apathy in some perspective.
Another allegation is that Australians think their politicians are dodgy, unreliable and lacking in many respectable qualities. The fact that this is not something limited to Australia is the obvious response, and there is little more I can say.
This is a short intro to the series, as this claim is so easily disputable. The only people I hear making this claim, that Australians are politically apathetic, are those who are politically passionate, and all I hear is "people should be more like me." Redgum are a charismatic, clever, down to earth group, but they are not an exception.
Feedback welcome.
H. Rourke.
No comments:
Post a Comment