Friday, 18 November 2011

10 Songs I Find Myself Singing

Well, I figure it's about time to return to writing blog posts for me to read back to myself and for the masses of people who don't read this blog.

Well, this time Idecided to do a short post about the 10 songs I find myself singing all the time. Some of these will change with time and some have, but this is just a basic list.

10. Allstar by Smash Mouth.
I know nothing about either the band or the song and I don't have any ovverwhelming wish to, as the only real reason I enjoy this song and find myself singing it is the great beat and decent lyrics. Not a bad song by far, but it doesn't mean anything.

9. Rich People Are Stupid by Ball Park Music.
Possibly the best band to come out of Triple J's Unearthed website, the first track I heard by this group, iFly, didn't really appeal to me. The second track by this group instantly caught my attention. The third track, Rich People Are Stupid kept up with the standards I held compared to their previous songs. A great tongue in cheek laugh at the wealthy and how to deal with working for them.

8. Amos Moses by Jerry Reed.
Although I am not familiar with any other music by Jerry Reed, this song has stuck in my head for years. The first time I heard it was on Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I enjoy this game to this day, partialy for the gameplay but also for the fantastic soundtrack. Amos Moses had me addicted to the in-game radio station K-Rose, in the hope I would hear this song.

7. Parlez Vous Francais? by Art vs. Science.
Art vs. Science is another wonderful product of Triple J's Unearthed initiative, and have produced many great songs. Although many songs (such as Magic Fountain) have reached the same levels as Parlez Vous Francais?, Parlez is the only song of theirs that I have actually learned the lyrics of.

6. Clockwork by Phrase.
Phrase has produced many fantastic tracks and is one of the greatest solo Australian Hip-Hop artists I have ever heard, but no other song of his has ever reached the legendary sound of Clockwork. I love this song and find myself often just singing a line or two from the chorus. The main reason this song didn't acheive higher in the list is the fact I still haven't learned all the lyrics yet.

5. Toorali by The Herd.
Although, as I have previously stated on this blog, I adore the music of The Herd, Toorali is the only song of theirs which I have actually learned the lyrics of. The actual song is a great twist on an Australian classic, with the song telling the story of a suspected terrorist being abducted by the government.

4. Fire by Kasabian
This song is one of the best made by Kasabian, which is saying quite a lot in comparison to songs like Shoot The Runner & Empire. This song just has the rythmic beat and creepy lyrics that just work amazingly well together.

3. Sad Rude Future Dude by Ball Park Music.
Sad Rude Future Dude is the second song by the previously mentioned Ball Park Music and has phenominal lyrics which express the emotions of a lonely frustrated man perfectly, acompanied by a cheery, jumpy beat which contrasts powerfully with the lyrics of the song.

2. The Complete History Of The USSR Through The Eyes Of A Humple Worker, Arranged To The Melody Of Tetris by Pig With The Face Of A Boy.
One hell of a title to accompany one hell of a song. Now, I wasn't familiar with the tune Korobeiniki (better known as the Tetris Song) before a friend sent me the link to this song. Since then,  have watched this song at least a dozen times and memorized the lyrics in just one night. The song itself is witty, observant, clever, interesting and most of all set to a memorable beat. I know that for the rest of my life I will think of this song every time I hear the "Tetris Song".

1. Fifty In Five by The Hilltop Hoods
Imagine the raw emotion of Killing In The Name, the historical element of We Didn't Start The Fire's evil twin, the natural talent of the Hilltop Hoods and the sobering effects of reality, all set to rhyme. Meet Fifty In Five. Whatever I say here, I doubt it will be the last time this song is mentioned on this blog. Well, to start from the top, the Hilltop Hoods are a fantastic Hip-Hop group from Adelaide, Australia and are the people behind such songs as Nosebleed Section and Chase That Feeling. In 2009, the Hilltop Hoods released an album called State Of The Art. This album ended on a five minute recap of the past fifty years of world history (thus the name of the song). Sadly, this song has received not nearly enough attention. This song has references to almost every significant event in world history over the past 50 years. To give an idea of how this song carries on, the first few lines are:
Terror cleared the skyline,
And Anger clouded judgment,
So they spent 1000 nighttimes in the desert...
I recommend to all the people who don't read this blog, at best go out and find the album or at least go on you-tube and take 5 minutes out of your day to listen to this legendary song. One quick note is that the song does have a slightly Australian focus at certain points. (For example, if he line: Abbott and Costello, right wing overlords means nothing to you, than the song may make a little less sense, but I recommend it anyway.)

I think I will come back with another Top 10 list at some pont, but next post I may do another album review. Or not. I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment