Well, I recently realised that despite mentioning "The Advertising of Evil", I never actually did post a follow up post. I don't think I would risk my mental stability by going back and borrowing it again, but I will talk about the impressions it left with me.
So, Mr Kupelian manages to disagree with and attempts to offend everyone in his book. He manages to accuse "radical feminists" of causing divorce to accusing other Christians of not being devout enough.
Overall, this book quite simply disturbs me on several levels. Firstly, how the hell did a book like this end up in an Australian library? Even in America, I can't image this book sold very well or had a large print run, so how the hell did it end up on the other side of the Pacific?
And the degree to which he dislikes so many different groups also disturbs me. Some authors have a clear dislike for people or groups of people, whether they attempt to subtly hint at it or approach it directly, it normally comes to the surface (If any of the people who don't read this blog haven't worked it out, I dislike crazy right-wing religious nutcases who seem to hate everything). But Kupelian takes it to a whole new level. Some writers may subtly hint at a certain group, race, religion, political ideology or other division of the human race which they don't like in their books and I can live with that. But when it is harder to work out who this guy likes than who he hates, I start to wonder about humanity.
All in all, I just wonder how the hell this book ended up in Australia at all, let alone Canberra, a city with less the 500,000 inhabitants. Was the book seriously popular in America? Did someone accidentally pick it up in America on holiday, get home to Canberra and donate the book? What happened?
Anyway, if you are in a mood for a good laugh followed by a mix of horror and nausea, I truly recommend this stinking pile of opinions.
No comments:
Post a Comment