Saturday, 10 March 2012

Update

Sorry I haven't written any reviews recently. If anyone was reading in the first place, I'd be worried they would stop.

I have acquired a few CD's, and I don't know which of them will be reviewed:

Triple J Hottest 100 of 2011, which has most of the songs I was hoping would be on there. This is actually the very first time I've bought a Triple J CD first-hand. All the other ones have been from the wonderful device known as a second-hand store.

I haven't actually received it yet, but the Hilltop Hoods have released their newest album, Drinking From The Sun. I have rather low expectations of what it will be like, but that didn't stop me blowing $20 on a pre-order. It's a thin line between band loyalty and outright throwing money away. In the end, though, I think I'm still getting a decent CD that will probably get a lot of use. I don't expect another Fifty In Five, but I'll be happy as long as I don't receive a CD full of She's So Ugly and Aussie Accents. I'm not a massive fan of the single they've released so far, but I still think it's a hell of a lot better than a large amount of modern music. Say what you will about them, but the Hilltop Hoods have made enough good music to make up for a whole album full of garbage, if such a thing is to happen.

What else, music wise? Internationalist by Powderfinger, which has the major drawback of being forgettable. The second I finish listening to it, I forget the entire content of the album. I have wanted to purchase a second Powderfinger album for a while, having obtained Vulture Street last year sometime.

St. Elsewhere by Gnarles Barkley also came into my possesion. It is a truly fantastic album. If you haven't heard of it, the best known track off of it is Crazy. If you don't know who Gnarles Barkley is, do you remember that song, Fuck You by Cee-Lo Green? Yeah, that guy's in it. That should clear everything up.

Franz Ferdinand's debut album, which I've been looking for for a while was also one of the CD's I picked up. Astounding how good they sounded, even when they were just starting up.

I found a two in one Eskimo Joe album. Girl and A Song Is A City. Not bad. Kind of forgettable, though.

There are a few others, but they slip the mind at the moment. If anything really interesting comes to mind, I'll make another update. I'll also try and get a review of...something up over the long weekend.

Happy Canberra Day. (Yes, it's a thing. Google it.)

H. Rourke.

No comments:

Post a Comment