Well, a return to my slightly more coherent opinions on music. Slightly.
Song #1: Empire by Kasabian (Empire, 2006, Track 1)
The first track off of the first Kasabian album I ever obtained. This should be interesting.
Music first, as always. When I first heard this album a few years ago, I really did not like this track. Perhaps it was due to the strange message at the beginning of the song, perhaps because it was a departure from the few Kasabian songs I knew at that point, but overall I think it was because it wasn't what I was expecting. I'm not sure if this paints me as narrow-minded, but I'm pretty sure it's fair enough to say that disappointment is the natural reaction to not hearing another "Fire" or "Underdog". Anyway, I got the hell over it and started to really like this song. A fantastic use of sound, creating a larger than life sound that I really had to adjust to. This song is roughly the opposite of "Knights Of Cydonia". Where "Knights Of Cydonia" went out of their way to be conspicuously epic, falling slightly short, "Empire" sounds as if it began as a conventional song and gained size and sound as it was developed, having a much more enjoyable feel to it. Also, I must say it contains a fantastic use of backing vocals.
Vocally, this song is fine. Meighan's vocals are decent, and I think this may be one of the best demonstrations of it, angry but not screaming, able to carry some element of proud sarcasm and disobedience.
Lyrically, this song is very interesting. Firstly, though, the music video. I don't believe I've mentioned a music video yet in a 3 Songs post, not even Muse, but it is relevant here. The music video shows that this song is anti-war, set in Crimea with the band being soldiers. After repeatedly disobeying orders, eventually they are killed, either by the enemy or by their own side. This is one of my favourite music videos, as it contains story, emotion and class. Sadly, I honestly don't think I ever would have picked the song as anti-war without it. With the knowledge it is an anti-war song, the lyrics make a lot more sense and have a lot more meaning, but I doubt I would have been able to make any sort of story out of them before seeing the video. I think the actual meaning of the song is that war is ultimately pointless, with a large amount of surreal and slightly disturbing imagery thrown in. With some I can sort of see a parallel (such as with the line "We're all wasting away"), but others (such as "A belly full of splinters") really make no sense to me, in relation to war or otherwise. A good song, nevertheless.
Song #2: Brick by Ben Folds Five (Whatever And Ever Amen, 1997, Track 3)
Music first, as always. The slow piano is the main draw of the musical aspect of this song, and accompanies the vocals and lyrics well. All aspects are slow and dreary throughout the song, occasionally building to demonstrate a build up of emotion in regards to the lyrics.
In regards to the vocals, Folds is clearly very emotional about the topic, and it shows. He once stated that he tried not to listen to the song because of the memories it brought up, and his sad, slow singing certainly shows that there is every reason to believe him.
Now, I'm very aware that the previous two sections are short. Honestly, there is almost nothing to talk about other than the lyrics of and the story behind this song. Simply, this story is about Folds taking his high-school girlfriend for an abortion on Boxing Day. I have discussed a lot of songs with powerful stories or messages behind them, and a lot of Folds songs, but this is a little bit too emotional to be discussed in my usual articles. What I am going to discuss is the brilliance of this track, especially in one key area: It is apolitical. There is no fucking way any political faction can find an argument to back their own opinion on abortion in this song. Although the event was clearly tragic, the actions of the characters show that they were emotionally immature, unable to deal with having a child. This song appearing in a list of the greatest conservative songs really pissed me off. I hear listening to music is a pretty good way of finding out what it's about, but each to their own. Now, this song is, almost without saying, a move away from the usual music of BFF or Folds solo work. Fans of Folds other work may not enjoy and visa versa, due to the emotional impact and the different style of music. I could talk about this song for an entire post, but I'm not going to. I want this blog to exist to vent my anger, joy, tension, outrage and a range of other feelings and urges. This song can only make you sad. There is little more that is worth being said that I would take any pleasure in saying. Just listen to it, regardless of your opinion of anything.
Song #3: Rex Kramer by Gomez (In Our Gun, 2002, Track 2)
Musically, this is a very interesting song. I've bought another two Gomez albums, and I'm still not quite comfortable with putting the group in any musical category, which can only ever be taken as a compliment. The music seems sort of electronic and blaring. Everything making loud, overt noises. Bleeping, beeping, whining. It makes me think of, like their previous song, a song occurring despite the music, rather than because of the music. The song seems to be fighting it less this time, however, more just working around it. It again gives the image of chaos, less so that previously too. Overall, different, but not bad.
The vocals are harsh and gruff, which fits the lyrics well enough, and gives the impression of someone who is sick of their situation and surroundings, almost sounding as if they're in pain. This is a very strange vibe to be coming from only the second track in the album (I knew including that in the title would eventually have a purpose!). Overall, again different but not bad.
Lyrically, this song does not seem to so much have a plot, but more is just trying to express an emotion. I enjoy songs like that, most of the time. Before I go on, I have absolutely no idea who Rex Kramer is, besides someone to do with country music and a character in two movies I will almost certainly never see, so I can't explain anything there, I'm afraid. The actual song seems to be expressing a weary frustration. The lyrics on their own seem to suggest a measure of success in daily doings, followed by a wish for sleep, but this is both taking matters a little too literally and treating the lyrics as if they were completely separated from the rest of the song. The vocals and music add the element of "frustration" I referred to, especially in the vocals, which sound exactly to me as if they were being spoken by a man desperate to get out of the situation he has found himself in, willing to say anything. The meaning of the song seems to me to be someone wishing to get rest, but I feel this should be more taken in the sense of a relationship, as I think the narrator wishes to be done with a significant other, and has spent a good deal of the day arguing the matter and now wishes for a rest from them. Just my read, feel free to suggest alternate meanings.
Winners:
First Category: Music:
Although all of these songs come from completely different mindsets and genres, I feel all of them can be called of a similar calibre, all worthy of a good listen. My overall winner for music has to be Kasabian, as although Folds is clearly attempting to convey his emotional sense, he becomes slightly dreary after too many listens. The runner up is harder to pick, but Folds does deserve it, just for the way in which he concisely presents his feelings.
Second Category: Vocals:
I think Folds is a definite winner in this one, for expressiveness and strength, with Gomez as runners-up, as they also seem to be conveying a good deal of the emotion in their song through their vocals.
Third Category: Lyrics:
Again, Folds is the clear winner here, and I'm not even going to bother saying why. The runner-up position is tricky. Kasabian have very interesting imagery in their lyrics, but little actual message, whereas the video seems to show that there is a message. Gomez, on the other hand, have ambiguous lyrics which are open to interpretation. I think Kasabian will just edge in a win here.
Overall:
1. "Brick" by Ben Folds Five
2. "Empire" by Kasabian
3. "Rex Kramer" by Gomez
All very interesting songs. Feedback welcome. With a good 20 minutes left, I manage to keep up my post-a-day run!
H. Rourke
No comments:
Post a Comment