Thursday, 21 June 2012

3 Songs: The Killers vs. Ben Folds vs. Jonathan Coulton

Now, this  is going to be the first of my attempts to discuss three random songs from my MP3 player and discuss tune, melody, mood, lyrics, meaning and probably other things. Overall,  I want to be able to take all three songs, show what the weaknesses of each are as well as the strengths and finally pick a favourite. Now, there are a lot of covers on this little device (my, my, Mr Folds sure does like a cover) and in the case of a cover, both the cover and the original will be discussed. Now, onwards!

Song #1: Bling (Confessions of a King) by The Killers (Sam's Town, 2006, Track 4)

The actual sound of this song is very different. The music at the beginning of the song reminds me of the music from old Pokemon games, where you're going through creepy old corridors, and even then the music was trying to freak you out with strange, wavering notes. I can honestly say I would never think of using such a thing in music.This effect is soon drowned out by the guitar kicking in, but you can still hear it in the background, adding to the overall effect. From this point on, the actual music is the same for the rest of the song, with the addition of a ...something... during the chorus. Seriously, I have no god-damn idea what that sound is.

Now, vocals.Just for a short piece of background: Sam's Town was my first real introduction to The Killers. Sure, I'd heard their hits, but that really means nothing in the long run. I had seen Sam's Town in the discount bin and eventually just took a leap of faith and bought it. It still ranks in my top five smartest buys at that shop, and I have bought many, many dozens of CD's there. Now, I have the complete Killers discography on this MP3, so I have heard a lot of the stuff they have made, but nothing really matches the feeling of getting home and listening to a CD from beginning to end like I did with Sam's Town. Anyway, back to the song. Yes, that was almost completely out of the blue. Vocals. Apparently Sam's Town was a real "back to basics" in regards to vocals,as the previous album had been a lot of auto-tune. This style of vocals falls under my category of "Jarring but good", which was very popular in Brit-pop. I honestly would class The Killers as Brit-pop if they were not American. Really, the certainly sound Pommie enough. There are some great usages of backing vocals, used very sparingly, but this creates great effect, as you know exactly where the singer wants us to focus.

Now, lyrics. I could make neither heads nor tails of these lyrics when I heard them for the first few times.From the name of the song, you sort of expect something along the lines of "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay, but instead you get something very different. Now, the lyrics are supposedly based on the father of the lead singer's alcoholism.Looking at the lyrics knowing that, it makes a hell of a lot more sense. It seems to be from two points of view, that of the son and the father, the son trying to help the father but the father sees his downfall as inevitable, and indeed, he hits rock bottom (apparently with an audible "huh"). He manages to get back up, however. Now, the genius of the song can be seen in the last verses, in which the repeated line is "We'll get higher and higher". Now, this completely changes the conclusion of the song depending on who the narrator is. If it is the son, he is deluding himself in thinking his father is okay, or else is bidding farewell as he has died. If it is the father, however, clearly he has made a recovery with the assistance of the son. Even if I have viewed it completely incorrectly, I prefer it that way.

Now, I'm not going to give this an overall score. I'm going to compare it to the other songs at the end.

Song #2 You've Got To Learn To Live With What You Are by Ben Folds (Sunny 16 (EP), 2003, Track 2)

Well, I do like a song that has a pretty bloody upfront meaning. Firstly, though, the music. This is one of Folds' slower songs to start off with. Actually, only the singing is slow. The piano is going at the usual pace. This song is very reminiscent of "There's Always Someone Cooler Than You", possibly due to the fact both songs are off of the same EP. Piano and singing. I must say, this song is a pretty good summation of Ben Folds solo work. There are many songs better than this one, but also a few worse, so this song is a good medium.

Vocals are Ben Folds at his Ben Foldsiest. Just look at any of my Folds reviews to find out what that is. Although, I must say the vocals are far slower and more sentimental in this track than in most others, so this might be not quite the Ben Foldsiest he has ever been.

Lyrics. What can I say? The title said almost everything. The song is seemingly just about an individual who is obsessed with getting and becoming more, with Folds attempting to make them understand that they really have to just take what they have and live with it. The interesting thing about this song is that Folds at one point states that "There's never going to be a moment of truth for you." Despite this, the entire song is about Folds trying to tell them to change. If he already knows its not going to happen, why bother? I'll throw a little unasked for context here too. Sadly, I don't own a physical copy of Sunny 16, or any Ben Folds EPs for that matter, so I only have the downloaded version of it, although it may have appeared on the Best Imitation Of Myself retrospective. Overall, with this song, it really would be improved by Folds having talked about the story behind it and I'm certain there is one. Sadly, this song is somewhat obscure, so no-one has really asked much about it.

#3 The Future Soon by Jonathan Coulton (Where Tradition Meets Tomorrow (EP), 2004, Track 1)

Now,I've talked about Coulton before, but only a little.The thing to be respected about Coulton is that he is definitely a musician first and a comedian second. This isn't to say that he is less funny than say Flight of the Concords or Weird Al, but it is to say his music is much better. I'm sorry, but the goal of the other two artists is to be funny. Music just happens to be the message they use to get it across. Coulton makes music, and just happens to throw a funny message in there. Now the music in "The Future Soon" is fantastic, with reliance on guitars and backing vocals, with drums kicking in here and there. There is also a strange beeping at the end of the song. I suppose it ties in, but I still see it as an odd inclusive choice.

Now, vocals. As previously stated, backing vocals are used really well. Now, I don't know if its the music or the vocals, but this is without a doubt the catchiest of the three songs so far, especially with the chorus. Coulton has a fantastic voice, and although he doesn't demonstrate the range he is capable of in this particular song, you can sort of tell what he can do.

Now, the most important part, the lyrics. The actual song tells the story of a nerd who embarrasses himself in front of a girl he likes, escaping his shame and her pity by repeating the line "It's going to be the future soon". He then retells how he's going to work as a scientist, designing a robot army to invade the world and turning himself into a cyborg. Finally, he concludes the song by attempting to kidnap and marry the very same girl who he embarrassed himself to at the beginning of the song. Now, that's all well and good, but consider the themes here. Social awkwardness, desperation to be different, attempting to forget, having something to make you special. I think this song reveals a hell of a lot more than Coulton intended.

The Winners:

First Category: Music
The winner here is without a doubt "The Future Soon" by Jonathan Coulton. It is just one of the catchiest songs I've heard in a long time. "Bling" is the runner-up.

Second Category: Vocals
Again, "The Future Soon" by Jonathan Coulton. He just has so much confidence and charisma, singing like it's second nature. "You've Got to Learn to Live With What You Are" by Ben Folds is the runner-up.

Third Category: Lyrics
A tie between "The Future Soon" and "Bling". Coulton is upfront with what he's discussing and the themes he discusses are clear and interesting. The Killers, however, rely on symbolism, abstract thought and varying perspective, both tactics being interesting and certainly worth a few listens. Ben Folds just puts everything on the table, but there really isn't much there. I adore the work of Folds, but this is just so very far from his best.

Overall:
1. "The Future Soon" by Jonathan Coulton
2. "Bling (Confessions Of A King)" by The Killers
3. "You've Got To learn To Live With What You Are" by Ben Folds

Please, listen to all three and give me your impressions or just one or two of them. Also, please give your input if you'd rather album reviews or something discussed in options.

H. Rourke

No comments:

Post a Comment