Sunday, 30 September 2012

3 Songs: Ball Park Music vs. U2 vs. Gomez

Here we go again.

Song #1: Rich People Are Stupid by Ball Park Music (Happiness & Surrounding Suburbs, 2011, Track 5)

Musically, this song is pretty basic, but really enjoyable. The guitar and drum base for the song really highlights some emotion behind the song, with other elements coming into the scene to even the song out. It's a great song musically, but there really isn't that much to say about it, I'm afraid.

Vocally, Cromack doesn't have the greatest voice of all time, but it is absolutely perfect for the genre BPM have found themselves in. A really refined voice, like Cave or Dempsey would just be really out of place here. Cromack fits the bill, making this song sound almost friendly. Really, if this song was a person, they would be that one guy who never shuts up, but is pretty fun to be around.

Lyrically, the song is nonsense on paper, talking about a vulcanologist and people who are complaining about their coffee. Really, if you want a message in this song, the title says it all. Honestly, I think the group wanted to make a song that sounded like a protest song but just defied expectations, and this song does so perfectly.

Song #2: In God's Country by U2 (The Joshua Tree, 1987, Track 7)

Musically, this song is slightly better than the usual U2. My opinion on U2 as an entity is that they really are one of the blandest groups out there, but they still pull of music that's enjoyable enough to purchase an album or two. This song has a little more vibrancy than the usual fare, with the guitar being the main source of this feeling.

Vocally is probably where this song, as well as this band, have their real strength: Bono. There are a lot of things I'll say about U2... actually, no, there really isn't anything to say about U2 and that's sort of the problem, but Bono has a hell of a voice. I'd never call him my favourite singer or anything of the like, but he certainly succeeds in pulling of the song.

Lyrically.... I have problems. This song is supposedly personifying the US as a woman trying to find herself in the desert... I think. Now, in interviews, apparently Bono has claimed this song is about the Statue of Liberty and is in contrast to the Nicaraguan revolution, both of which are great topics for a song IF THE FUCKING LYRICS TOUCHED ON EITHER OF THOSE IN THE SLIGHTEST. Sorry for the caps lock, but really, you can't make a song about something just because you say it is. Yes, the intention can be there, and yes, a lot of symbolism can be interpreted differently, but I dare anyone to find anything that so much as suggests Nicaragua in this song. The lyrics are a little cliché, but pulled off in a fashion that makes me feel like they aren't, so there's that.

Song #3: Whippin' Piccadilly by Gomez (Bring It On, 1998, Track 2)

Holy shit, no Folds! Anyway, this song is musically marvellous, especially in comparison. The song starts out with just a basic acoustic guitar, but slowly drums and other instruments are introduced until the end of the song, when you don't know what the fuck is going on. Compare to the rather basic tunes of the other songs here, this is a real stand-out.

Vocally, Gomez is fascinating. The group seems to share the lead vocals role a little, so I won't use any names, but this seems to be the lightest of the vocals. This song is vocally much cheerier than a lot of their work, and this makes the song stand out in comparison at least. This song is cheery and Gomez certainly don't sound cheery, but I don't know if I like the contrast or not.

Lyrically, this song is just really about enjoying a day out on the town, at least I can read much more into that. There are a few lines that are kind of depressing if read in the right mood, but the actual song doesn't seem to take that stance on things. This song really is just about having fun, odd for a normally pretty serious group.

Overall:

Musically, Gomez wins this, with Ball Park Music a close second. I don't have any real complaints about U2's music, but I have no statements about it in any way. Know why? Because it's been five minutes since I listened to it, and I've completely forgotten it, with absolutely no desire to remember. Not a sign of good music.

Vocally, I think I've got to give this to Gomez, just because the sound of a bunch of dreary sounding Englishmen having fun is something I can't hear enough of. As for a runner up, I love BPM, but Bono really is the only memorable thing about U2, and he deserves some acknowledgement for that.

Lyrically, none of these songs do much for me. Gomez wins, just because they were having some fun and it shines through exactly as I think they intended. BPM is getting second place here, because they didn't piss me off, at least not to caps lock levels.

Winners:
1. Whippin' Piccadilly by Gomez
2. Rich People Are Stupid by Ball Park Music
3. In God's Country by U2

Again, I'm not judging the entire group, just the songs. But most things U2 does are about this bad.

Feedback welcome.

H. Rourke


No comments:

Post a Comment