The Post a Day didn't quite continue yesterday, my apologies, but I will force myself to write at least something today. Did someone say "3 Songs"? No, that was me. All the same...
Song #1: Ballad of a Politician by Regina Spektor (What We Saw From the Cheap Seats, 2012, Track 8)
Musically, this song has received some flack, being called "melodramatic" (it sounds worse in context), but I really don't think so. The majority of this song is carries in the vocals and lyrics. The music just seems to be secondary, nearly an afterthought. The music does what it is put there to do: emphasise Spektor's voice.
Vocally, I adore Spektor's delivery of the lyrics. She puts so much emphasis on everything she deems necessary, I cannot imagine another artist attempting to cover this tune. There is a strange mechanised echo to her voice in this song, presumably to make her sound eerier (an unnecessary addition if there ever was one) and it works to a point, but the digital quality of the sound takes me somewhat away from the song. A minor complaint, but a complaint all the same.
Lyrically, this song is vague, but I think this is certainly on purpose. This song is a ballad of "A Politician", rather than dropping not-so-subtle hints about who the song is actually about. The song recounts rather basic elements of politics; meetings, speeches, possible corruption, power and eventual collapse of plans. Everything is left to the perception of the listener, with the music and vocals suggesting we err on the seedier side of our suspicions. You can honestly insert any politician into this song and it will make sense, even if important elements are left out.
Song #2: Stumblin' Home Winter Blues by Ben Folds Five (The Best Imitation of Myself: A Retrospective, Track 22, Disc 3)
Ah, BFF. Why do you keep ending up here? I want to say nice things, but your songs so far nave been so weak. Musically, what the hell do you expect from a BFF song? The piano is slow and beautiful, with violin accompaniment and I think a drumset in the background somewhere. Other than that this song is slow and marvellous, there is little more to say musically.
Ben Folds is singing the song. I've just said exactly the same things in the previous reviews. Read them. This is good.
Lyrically, this song can probably be interpreted in different ways. Literally, the song is Folds talking to a streetlight about his problems. Yeah, this shit is metaphorical or Folds is losing his touch. I think the song is Folds taking himself away from the world to work out who he is, spending more time than he expects doing so with nothing to show for it, eventually sitting and thinking before heading home, knowing that no-one really cares. The "Stumblin'" implies drinking, but I don't know if that really fits into my interpretation of the song, so I'll just write it off to Folds being groggy from a lack of sleep. Read the lyrics, interpret for yourselves and get back to me.
Song #3: Fred Jones Part 2 by Ben Folds (Rockin' The Suburbs, 2001, Track 5)
...Well... at least BFF isn't in here twice? Anyone else kinda getting the image I have way too much Folds on my MP3 player? Let's start, as always, with the music. This song is, of the three, clearly the most focused on providing music, with the focus being on the piano (or course) as well as a violin. I can't pick up any other instruments, but what they use is just phenomenal in conveying emotion, from despondency, to sadness to rage. Just fantastic.
Vocally, I actually have something to say this time! After listening to the previous song, hold shit does Folds sound about 14 here. It is incredibly clear that Folds has aged in his musical style. Somewhat ironic that he sounds more mature in the band he broke up to start a solo career than he did during his solo career. Folds does an admirable job of conveying any emotion that the music missed through his voice. There is also a great use of backing vocalists at certain points.
Lyrically, this song touches on many themes, some of which I mentioned in my post comparing Jones to Plan B's Strickland Banks and Drapht's Jimmy Ricard. The tragedy of Jones situation, forgotten and alone is pretty clear, as in "Cigarettes" we found out about Jones home life. For Jones to be forced to find some meaning in his life without a job or a wife is the true tragedy here, as he has been forced from the one place he felt he truly belonged. I'd say more, but fuck it. Listen to it yourself or read the lyrics somewhere. You'll be able to understand more just from hearing or reading it once thatn I can even attempt to explain. Just utterly wonderful.
Overall:
Well, this is a mournful but fantastic group of songs, so let's see which is the best.
Musically, this is really a non-event. Fred Jones Part 2 has such a tragic and fascinating musical aspect that it cannot compete with the other two. The real contest here is for runner-up. Overall, I've got to say BFF. Spektor can match Folds on the piano, but her contribution here just seems so manufactured while BFF has an honest and natural piano track. My own preference, but I'm 98% of my audience, so fuck it.
Vocally, this is a prick of a choice. Not only are all three of the songs by fantastic singers, two of them happen to be by the same singers. I'm going to have to pick Spektor here, because it's overwhelmingly obvious that her voice is the entire power of the song. Her voice alone, not even what she is saying, is why this song works, which is quite a feat for a voice to carry out. BFF is the runner up here, as Folds sound 20 years older than in Fred Jones Part 2, although only 10 have passed, and he sounds like a much more experienced singer.
Lyrically, I'm going to have to pick Fred Jones Part 2, as this song is so significant. The emotion and story of the lyrics is fascinating, but this is also the only song in which Folds has returned to tell the story of a single character, which I wish would happen again. For runner-up, I'm going to go BFF, as that song also carries a great amount of emotion behind the lyrics, while Spektor carries all the emotion in her voice with remarkably generic lyrics.
Winners:
1. Fred Jones Part 2 by Ben Folds
2. Ballad of a Politician by Regina Spektor
3. Stumblin' Home Winter Blues by Ben Folds Five
See y'all tomorrow. Feedback welcome.
H. Rourke
No comments:
Post a Comment