Saturday, 29 September 2012

Top 5 Album Covers

This is only going to be a quick post. I've mentioned how important the cover of an album is for me, as it's the main motivation to buy it if I'm unfamiliar with the group. I have very particular tastes in regards to what an album cover should be. I'm quick to rule between "boring" and "crowded" and between "lazy" and "pretentious". Almost every album cover falls into one of these four categories, including those that are going to be on my Top 5 list, but I love them all the same. Now, in reverse order of enjoyment:

5. Consolers of the Lonely by The Saboteurs (2008)
The cover of this album depicts four men dressed in an outdated fashion standing on a stage holding musical instruments while a blindfolded woman emerges from a building shaped like a star and a small girl sits with a pair of doves, all in black and white.  This image falls just slightly into the "crowded" category, and also the "pretentious" category if those doves and that blindfolded woman were supposed to be symbols for something. I just love the creativity, as the group moves away from the style of their previous album, both musically and design wise, and that is shown here, emphasising their country roots.

4. Deeper Water by Paul Kelly (1995)
The cover of this album depicts the back of a man's torso, with a pair of bare arms wrapped around his head, disappearing into the darkness, this one also in black and white. Although this could border on "boring", the thing that brings this album above others for me is the colour contrast. The previous album used black and white to imply the cover was aged. This album uses the lack of colour much more effectively, attempting to emphasise the stark whiteness of the arms against the rest of the album. A little too simple, but a beautiful use of many artistic techniques.

3. Suburban Songbook by Bob Evans (2006)
The cover of this album is a picture of a man and a woman, early twenties at latest, holding hands and walking down a deserted road, where both sides of the road are covered in trees. The man is turned slightly towards the woman, as if speaking. I honestly don't really know why I like this cover so much. I think the simplicity mixed with an element of "this is exactly what you think it is". The timelessness of the image, as well as the lack of clear location add to how this image is so simple. Although it could be argued this is a little "boring", I disagree completely.

2. West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum by Kasabian (2009)
The cover of this album is of four men dressed in strange clothing looking at themselves in a mirror. For deeper analysis, read my Top 5 Albums series. This album, although somewhat "crowded" is easily seen as colourful, frantic, strange and slightly dark. The fact that the cover of an album can already have you fascinated and enthralled by the contents is a reassuring idea. Don't worry, this is the last of my Top 5 Albums to be in this list.

1. Internationalist by Powderfinger (1998)
Now, Powderfinger hasn't really featured here yet, but I hardly feel this is the time to introduce them to those who are unfamiliar. This album depicts a woman holding onto her shirt while looking at the sun or some other source of light. The picture is depicted in a painted style reminiscent of a propaganda poster. I just love the simplicity and art style of this image. In conjunction with the other three images in the liner notes, it's clear that Powderfinger was attempting to replicate the Soviet-era propaganda posters describing their achievements in various fields, and I have no words for how great an idea that is for album cover art.

I'm aware I've probably left out some favourites of myself and others, but please, as usual, provide feedback.

H. Rourke

No comments:

Post a Comment