Thursday, 15 December 2011

Triple J Hottest 100: My Actual Top 10

OK, so as I expected, some songs I ended up voting for in the Hottest 100 were not the same as I indicated. This was due, as expected, to a perusing of the list of the songs released this year. The best new feature of the list is a link for (almost) every song which leads to a Youtube video of the song. This has occupied me for a large portion of the day, and I just finished "A".

Anyway, what changed?

Firstly, All I Want Is You by Ball Park Music was dropped, partially because I thought better songs were out there and partially because I thought it was a bit narrow-minded to vote for three songs by the same group (two is fine though). The song that took it's place was House by Ben Folds Five. Now, in the last post I said that there were no new singles released from Ben Folds newest album. Well, I was wrong. Let's leave it at that. House is a throwback to the classic Ben Folds Five sound, and I couldn't pass up a chance to have that in the list, as it very well may be the last time a Ben Folds Five song to make the Hottest 100.

Secondly, I Love It by The Hilltop Hoods was dropped on the grounds that it really didn't deserve my vote. If it really is good and I'm just too stupid or have my standards set too high to see it, it'll make the list without me. It was replaced by the fantastic track by the Funkoars, Where I Am. The Funkoars have talent, but have a tendency for crudeness and objectifying women. This I can handle from most Hip-Hop groups in small doses, but the Funkoars take it to a whole new level, which normally disuades me from enjoying their music just a slight. This song is a hel of a lot better, and I think its place on my Top Ten is justified. Also, seeing as I replaced one Adelaide hip-hop group with another, I doubt anyone would feel slighted.

Thirdly, Little Shocks by the Kaiser Chiefs didn't make the final vote. Frankly, they were barely in the preliminary Top Ten. They were replaced by the phenomenal Glorious Feeling by Joelistics. How I forgot this track, I'll never comprehend. This track tells a fantastic story about the human race being addressed by God and his abandonment of the human race. I was obsessed by this song for months after I first heard it. I suppose listening to it too much just made me overlook it. Anyway, it most certainly deserved a place.

Finally, the indecisive position was filled by Seeker Lover Keeper's Even Though I'm A Woman. Archetecture In Helsinki has a strong fanbase who will make sure at least Contact High will make it into the Hottest 100. Seeker Lover Keeper does not have the same level of following. Also, Signs Of Life by The Herd was replaced by A Thousand Lives in the end. Well, that list took quite a while, especially considering I had a shortlist of over 30 songs by the end. Jeez, that was a tricky thing.

Anyway, I'll try and keep my reader happy by posting a review of ... something soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment