Well, Triple J Hottest 100 voting opens on Wednesday the 14th. I encourage my reader to vote and am personally looking forward to the event. Now, because I have an ego the size of Greek national debt, I'm going to offer my own Top 10 for the Hottest 100 of 2011.
1. Little Shocks by Kaiser Chiefs
Okay, first thing I have to mention is the fact that this post is going to be written using my on-screen keyboard, which is (while useful) one of the most irritating devices on my machine, due to the fact the 1 key on my keyboard wants more use than it's getting. Screw this. This goddamn keyboard is like the most irritating and boring flash game ever. I'm going to try and get my keyboard working and get back to this. Also, I'll pick the other nine songs.
Okay, things seem to have calmed down. Now, LIttle Shocks. This is by no means my favourite song by the Kaiser Cheifs, but it is my favourite of their 2011 album, meaning it gets to be on my list for little more than band loyalty.
2. Rich People Are Stupid by Ball Park Music
There are actually several albums I was looking through which were released in 2011. Velociraptor, The Best Imitation Of Myself were up there along with Lotsyx Grottox or whatever Coldplay's new one was.The problems were, respecively, that I am unfamiliar with Velociraptor, The Best Imitation Of Myself is a re-release of old songs and frankly, I don't like Coldplay's new album. The other album that was a bit of a disappointment was Babylon by Phrase. Phrase has done some magnificent work in the past, but Babylon is not amont his best work. Not that bad, but not his best by any means. To give some idea, today I picked it up in the "3 for $10" basket at a local CD store. Not a good sign for a CD released this year (also, if anyone is curious, the other two albums were the far superior Now We Can See by The Thermals and Wolfmother's self titled album). Rich People Are Stupid is the second single off Ball Park Music's first album, but the first released this year (making Sad Rude Future Dude, despite being awesome, being out of the running this year). I don't think I'll go into this song now, as I probably will review the entire album at some point.
3. All I Want Is You by Ball Park Music
The fourth single off of Ball Park Music's first album. Like the previous, I won't review this until a later date.
4. Signs Of Life by The Herd
I've reviewed the album this song is off previously (Future Shades) and frankly, I don't see this as being single material, but I'll still vote for it because it's a hell of a lot better than a lot of the music around nowadays. If the much better A Thousand Lives is finally released as a single between now and Wednesday (I can only hope) it will replace this song on my list.
5. Sing It (The Life Of Riley) by Drapht
Like Babylon by Phrase, I find that Life Of Riley is a sub-par release by an artist as talented as Drapht, but I can still appreciate that he wanted to release an album which was a bit softer and slightly more about him. Sing It is not bad, but no Rapunzel or Jimmy Ricard.
6. Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye
Let me say two things: Firstly, this song will be the best song of 2011. That is just a fact, in my opinion. Secondly, the first thing is not bad. Gotye is an amazingly talented Australian artist and he certainly deserves that position. It's a hell of a lot better than someone like, say, Angus & Julia Stone (who are talented and decent artists, but Big Jet Plane, last years winner was not a good song) winning the top position. A good song, but I wish it winning was a little more uncertain.
7. I Love It by The Hilltop Hoods ft. Sia
There is going to be a new Hilltop Hoods album in 2012...featuring Sia, one of my favourite solo Australian female singers (along with Bertie Blackman). Somehow, I am less than enthusiastic. I somewhat feel this song is somewhat to blame. The song is not bad per-say, just.....the same. The Hilltop Hoods are a fantastic group who have always seemed to know when to change and when to stay the same. This song more feels like something you would find on an old album from before they were famous, not the way to introduce a brand new album. Perhaps I just have standards set too high, but seeing as I call the Hilltop Hoods my favourite group, I somewhat feel I am allowed to have very high standards. Perhaps the actual album will be revolutionary, but I still worry. Who knows?
8. Undecided (Either Contact High by Architecture In Helsinki or Even Though I'm A Woman by Seeker Lover Keeper)
Tell me (literally, I'm basing my vote on comments here), which makes more sense: giving a vote to a decent song by a group which has produced amazing songs in the past or giving my vote to a group who I think will do amazing things in the future? Please, anyone, listen to these songs and tell me who to vote for. This entire list is rather transient, but I would still like some outside opinion.
9. Sum Of It All by The Herd
Not the best song off of Future Shade, but the best released as an album. How can I not vote for this?
10. It's Nice To Be Alive by Ball Park Music
My personal wish for the number one position. As with the other Ball Park Music songs, I'll go into the actual track at a later date.
All in all, this list was far too easy to compile, and not in a good way. Anyway, this is the first time I've picked my votes beforehand. I will probably change it at the last minute, and will update this on Wednesday afternoon on my actual votes (probably accompanied with a review).
No comments:
Post a Comment