Part 1Well, as no-one has made any suggestions for what to review in nearly 24 hours, I'm going to continue reviewing the same old albums. One thing I must say is that someone did comment on my previous post. This has both made me completely review my position that no-one is watching and actually put some effort and thought into my posts. But screw that, this is a blog where I do little else but review albums and talk about controversial books. This blog is made for me, and if anyone else happens to like it, it's a bonus.
Now, before I say anything about the album I'm reviewing tonight, I must point out that I am going to try to review 34 tracks starting at 11:20 pm. Chances are I'm going to either post half tonight and half tomorrow (or sometime in the future) or have a long post of garbled criticism posted at 2 in the morning. I'm hoping for option 2.
Anyway, as I've mentioned previously, the Australian youth radio station Triple J holds a vote for the best 100 songs released every year, a tradition that began in 1989. The list is announced on Australia Day the following year and I always try to put the day aside for just listening to the radio. At least it's better than the TV, but that's still not much of a defense. A quick thing to mention is that it is getting closer and closer to that beautiful day when voting is opened, which normally happens mid-December. For someone who doesn't observe any religious celebration in this part of the year, that may be the single most exciting thing to expect in December. Isn't that depressing?
Anyway, getting back to the CD, which is, as you may have guessed from the title of my post, the compilation CD from 2001. After every Hottest 100, a compilation CD is released, containing about 30 songs, placed in random order for no apparent reason. To the songs!
1. (Position 1) Amazing by Alex Lloyd.
The name of this song does sum it up pretty well. This song is amazing. Extraordinary use of violins (I think), fantastic vocals and just an all-round great song. Sadly, I have only heard one other song from Alex Lloyd, which was only a touch less impressive than Amazing and nothing else. From this song he clearly shows that he has tons of talent and a discerning ear for tasteful backing music. Sadly, I have also never heard any other of his songs played on Triple J. I would also like to point out that I am starting my review with the best song (allegedly) from the CD. Well, you can stop reading mow if that's what your after. It's (supposedly) all downhill from here.
2. (Position 4) Where's Your Head At? by Basement Jaxx
Let the seemingly random placement of songs begin (please note it is not alphabetical. These two songs and the following song just happen to fall into that pattern). I've commented enough on placement in my previous Triple J compilation CD review, so on with the song. I don't know what I think of this song. Basement Jaxx have released good songs before, like Raindrops, which was absolutely phenomenal. When I first heard this song, I absolutely despised it. I have slowly eased myself into appreciating parts of its makeup, but I can still see why I disliked it in the past. The best thing I can say about this song is that it perfectly sums up what it is like to listen to radio at 2 in the morning. There. I just saved anyone reading this the trouble of actually staying up until 2 just to listen to the radio. The whole effect of Basement Jaxx is a cacophony of pointless sound, just pushed together for no apparent reason. I might be a touch more lenient on this song if I wasn't aware of other work by the same group and that this song was so successful and popular. This is one song which deserves a niche of fans, not a position of 4 on the Hottest 100 of 2001.
3. (Position 2) Monsters by Something For Kate.
This is the only song I am familiar with by something for Kate, but it is definitely not the only song I am familiar with by the fantastic Paul Dempsey. Without his vocals, I don't know how this song would go. Luckily, his voice is included and the song is just great. There actual music of the song is very forgettable, but Dempsey's talent is very hard to forget. Oddly, I was not introduced to Paul Dempsey by this song. The first Paul Dempsey song I heard was Fast Friends, which hooked me in when Dempsey claimed in an interview that it was based on The Great Gatsby, which is a sure way to make anything interesting to me. Anyway, Dempsey = good, Monsters & Something For Kate > meh, but not much more.
4. (Position 6) Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm.
Apparently, Blogger is a fan of Alien Ant Farm and decided to delete my review of it. So, suppressing my rage, here I go again. Firstly, this song is a cover of Michael Jackson's fantastic Smooth Criminal. As such, I won't be reviewing the song itself, just the version that was butchered- I mean "remade" by Alien Ant Farm. In essence, this song is the fantastic Smooth Criminal with a touch of metal. That doesn't sound so bad, but it ruins a song like this. The title of this song should not be Smooth Criminal. The song certainly is Criminal, but there is very little Smooth about it. Loud, Irritating and Strangely Popular Criminal is the perfect name for the new version for this song. All in all, I don't like it, if that didn't come across clearly.
5. (Position 9) Clint Eastwood by Gorillaz
Gorillaz, I instantly took a disliking to the band. Looking back, I don't really know why. Many of there songs have fantastic beats and just sound great. I think the fact that my Gorillaz experience started and ended with "Dare" did nothing in there favour. More recent listening has revealed that they actually do posses a fair deal of talent, displayed very well in Clint Eastwood. Firstly, I have no idea why the name is what it is, but I try not to question a lot of the logic behind many things related to the Gorillaz. This is a smooth, even, shilled tune which perfectly matches a laid back tune, varied samples and mixed vocals. I certainly wish I had heard this song long before I heard "Dare" or any of it's kin. I think I would have heard a lot of good music that I feel somewhat robbed of now.
6. (Position 28) Fall Down by Jedediah
I don't know much about Jedediah, nor do I care for much of their music (This may or may not have to do with an aunt who I do not much get along with being lifelong fan). This tune is the best I have heard by them ,which is saying practically nothing. The vocals are mediocre and the music seems to be strangely paced and a general mess. I can see how some people could like this particular song and by extension, the band, but I am certainly not one of these people. What is with the bagpipes?
7. (Position 30) The Girl Of My Dreams (Is Giving Me Nightmares) by Machine Gun Fellatio.
I know nothing about this band. The name alone has been the biggest reason for my lack of investigation. Overly violent AND sexual. Quite a feat. Ignoring the name of the group, the song starts out really well. Smooth, chilled and a pleasant track. The vocals are pretty good and the song does rev up at a few point, but nothing that makes it sound like a song by "Machine Gun Fellatio". The name of this band really just irritates me. OK, it provides "shock, awe and controversy" (or at least was meant to). The problem here is that the name attracts people who like shock, awe, controversy, excess violence and excess sex. And (judging by this song alone, which may not be the most reasoned way to do things, but screw it) this song just doesn't provide that kind of music. Really, I was expecting something between Rage Against The Machine and Nine Inch Nails. Instead, I get a pretty slow, normal song that could be a Whitlams B-side. I think the Fellatio could just be taken off the title and it would make perfect sense. I don't think of myself as a prude or someone that thinks "good grief, it's a dirty word!", but it just doesn't reflect what the group actually sounds like. Then again, I'm basing this entire opinion on one song. For all I know, the rest of their music could be "rape metal" or "death punk" or some other genre that I just thought up that almost certainly does exist.
8. (Position 48) Superstylin' by Groove Armada
This song is nothing if not different. It starts of a touch slow, but certainly picks up. I don't know where I stand with this song. Firstly, I would never listen to this song outside of this review or on a compilation CD. This is one song that wouldn't end up on my playlist. At the same time, I have difficulty in simply declaring this song "bad", because it isn't. It has a nice beat and interesting vocals, but much more. Perhaps it just isn't my kind of thing.
9. (Position 79) Imitation Of Life by R.E.M
This track starts out as a country song, and I have difficulty throughout the whole song shaking the sense that this is what a country song would sound like if they had a bigger budget. The vocals are pretty good and I think the lyrics are pretty decent, but the one problem I have is that, besides the chorus, a lot of the singing is drowned out by the music. This is like I was talking about in my other Triple J compilation review. What is the deal with that? Can that not be fixed in post-production? Are a few rather dull guitar chords really better than the singing? Are they embarrassed with the lyrics? Why would you make a song like that? If I want to know what they are actually saying, I would have to look the lyrics up and, like I imagine the majority of the world would think, I just can't be bothered putting that degree of effort into a song that seems to think that their guitar playing is better than their lyrics. I put effort in when the music puts effort in. I think that's fair enough.
10. (Position 51) Fifteen Feet Of Pure White Snow by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds.
Ah, Nick Cave. I need a break from some of the rubbish. The best way to sum up Nick Cave's style to someone unfamiliar with him is that it is the perfect backing music to accompany someone finding out really bad news whilst high. Strange, eccentric and all over the place but still maintaining that core of sadness. Anyway, this particular song maintains the excellent vocals typical to every Nick Cave song, strange lyrics that still somehow manage to get their message across and decent music for anyone who can distract themselves from Nick Cave's voice to listen to it. Just a great song. Perhaps not his best, but I can't think of anything right now that is better.
11. (Position 24) Dust Me Selecta by Gerling
Quite an interesting song. Sounding like a Jamiroquai knock off, Gerling still manages to make a good song. There isn't much to say about this song, but it certainly deserves any popularity it obtained. The one thing that is really weird is the crazy deep voice that appears for seemingly no reason in the middle of the song. It is a touch repetitive, but then again, I have reviewed Around The World by Daft Punk, so it's fine in comparison.
12. (Position 54) The Rock Show by Blink-182
Ah. 2001. It would be another couple of years before it managed to completely shake off the nineties and this is one of the obnoxious leeches hanging on. Not to say that this is a bad song, it just is like walking into a dinosaur whilst walking to the shops. It should have died when the rest of the species did. Otherwise, it gets outrageously popular due to people in their late twenties feeling like they can recapture their teen years be just grabbing onto the music that lingers. Singing at a speed incomprehensible to mankind, a guitar soundtrack that we've heard a million times before accompanied by lyrics about meeting a girl at a rock show... and hijinks. I suppose. I heard the first line and missed the rest. I somewhat feel the content of this song is not going to give any insight as to the human experience, so who really cares what the hell they're talking about. Keep an eye out for this song in a best of the nineties compilation in 20 years. By then, no-ones going to split hairs.
13. (Position 100) Sex & Violence by Endorphin
When I first heard the name of this song, I was scared that it would either be metal of have Machine Gun Fellatio Syndrome, a name designed to draw in fans of a certain genre by having a name that doesn't reflect on the song. Oddly enough, the song is a slow paced, sentimental tune which is really a nice change. Not the best song ever, but to be at position 100, it's better than I expected. Also, as for Machine Gun Fellatio Syndrome, the song actually is about sex & violence, in the sense that it "makes the world go round". This is like what Daft Punk should sound like, from all the hype the receive. (Didn't I say the same thing about Blue Monday?). A touch repetitive, but not a bad tune. My real problem with this song is it's position on the CD. Position 100 in the actual countdown and yet number 13 on the first CD. So, thanks to Wikipedia, I present 10 songs better than Sex & Violence that also ranked higher and did not (and will not) appear on the CD:
1. Since I Left You - The Avalanches (Position 8)
2. Rockin' The Suburbs - Ben Folds Five (Position 17)
3. Weapon Of Choice - Fatboy Slim (Position 21)
4. Drugs Don't Work - Ben Harper (Position 22)
5. Who Sold Her Out - Eskimo Joe (Position 34) (Please Note: Eskimo Joe is on the CD, just not with this song
6. Little L - Jamiroquai (Position 26)
7. Duffy's Song (I Will Not Go Quietly) - The Whitlams (Position 42)
8. There Is No Such Place - Augie March (Position 47)
9. You Give Me Something - Jamiroquai (Position 62)
10. Not The Same - Ben Folds (Position 67)
There we go.
14. (Position 60) Pattern Against User by At The Drive-In
The music of any half-decent rock group meets the vocals of Blink-182 (I'm not saying it's the same person, just a similar style). This song is ....okay. Just okay. The music is okay, the lyrics are incomprehensible (probably for the best) and the vocals are at a speed faster than light. It's the kind of song that will have you saying "Is it over yet?" but is not bad enough to warrant action against it (by which I mean turning off the radio).
15. (Position 33) Getting Away With It (All Messed Up) by James
Before I even listen to the song, I must give this band kudos for possessing the most uninspired name I have possibly ever heard (Upon further research, I take that back. There is a Canadian band called "The Band". Still, James deserves a mention). Unlike the names of both the song and the band suggest, the song is actually not that bad. I can't think of a group that these guys sound like, but I'm sure there is a good comparison. Anyway, the song is slow, well made and actually really nice. I was embarrassingly well prepared to hate this song. Damn misguiding book covers. The one thing this song actually makes me think of is Rolf Harris. I would like to make a plea similar to the one in Palookaville. Palookaville muppets. Palookaville muppets. There we go. Now I'm crazy. Anyway, this is actually a really good song and I think I will look into James a little more. Also, I won't judge before listening to the song.
16. (Position 97) Stay Back by Superheist.
On second thoughts, it's judging bands without listening to them that has kept me from having to listen to crap like this. Metal. What more can I say? Pointless noise, with a strange effect like a robot swallowing something in the background. The vocals in the slower bits aren't that bad, but still, it irritates me quite a lot. I don't know why I hate metal so much, but it just seems like pointless rage and noise combined by middle class kids. Whatever happened to good music?
17. (Position 99) It Began In Afrika by The Chemical Brothers
Despite thinking my Discman was skipping at first (Which it does at the slightest provocation. Really, if you insult the damn thing, it'll start skipping), this song isn't that bad. A good use of samples, a good baseline and a very interesting theme. It does get a little to confused, as many songs of this genre do, but I suppose confused is better than boring. I think. But, for god's sake, do they really need the line Afrika-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka?. I honestly thought the damn device was screwing up. Again. Anyway, not bad for position 99. Oddly, the songs in positions 100 & 99 are better than a lot of the songs on the list. Strange.
Anyway, that's the end of disc 1. I'll have a break and a spell-check and try and have the second disc reviewed before midnight. I make no promises.
No comments:
Post a Comment