Wednesday, 7 December 2011

Triple J Hottest 100 Of 2001 Part 2

18. (Position 40) Elevation by U2
Elevation starts off in a rather strange way, with a man shouting with a backing of bells and some kind of guitar (I think). The song has good vocals, like most U2 songs I've heard and overall isn't a bad song. I don't really have an opinion on U2. I haven't heard anything (that I can recall) by them that I call "bad", but for some reason I've never had much of an interest in the group. Perhaps they just aren't my style. Anyway, the overall effect of this song is very similar to a Kasabian song. I really can imagine them covering this song with very little difficulty. I can see how this song got to position 40. It's unremarkable, but a lot of people like anything by U2.

19. (Position 16) Say What? by 28 Days/Apollo 440
I have never heard of either of these groups outside of this song, and I can sort of see why. The overall effect of this song is hip-hop meets a watered down metal song (by which I mean raw sound). The end product is much better than I would have expected but not a great song. It actually sounds like an old, obscure prodigy song with different vocals. Not a great song but better than quite a few of the songs on the previous CD. Also, a bit repetitive (speaking of which...).

20. (Position 61) One More Time by Daft Punk
The first thing I have to say about this song is that t has more to offer than god-damned Around The World. After saying his, the song actually isn't that bad. It still sounds like an audio loop, but at least there is more than one line in the entire song. This song is better all in all just because of the other song by Daft Punk which I'm comparing it too.  Also, the voice is slightly more emotive than in the other Daft Punk song. Also, please be aware that I know that Daft Punk has made more than two songs....I think.  just haven't heard of any of them and if I have, I don't care or haven't identified them as a Daft Punk song. To conclude, this song is the only Daft Punk song I've heard that even comes close to approaching the hype that this group has created.

21 (Position 38) Crystal by New Order
Strangely enough, this is the second time I'm going to pit Daft Punk against New Order on a Triple J compilation from a Hottest 100. Once again I must award the prize to New Order, but it was much closer this time. Firstly, this song does not sound like it was made by the same group who produced Blue Monday. I'm not exactly sure why, but this song makes me think of the Saboteurs (or the Raconteurs outside of Australia) doing a song with the Presets. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking. Who knows? Anyway, this song has good music, interesting vocals and despite the fact the lyrics don't do much for me, I must praise New Order for actually letting me hear their lyrics. Much appreciated.

22. (Position 39) Cocaine by The Cruel Sea
The intro to this song made me think of a Pauline Pantsdown song, but the song actually ends out being... well, if John Butler Trio was a variety of product, this would be a no-name rip off of it. Not to say that is what The Cruel Sea actually is, they just seem to me (not helped by the fact the next song is a John Butler Trio tune). The one thing I must give this group is the inclusion of samples and piano, which end up making his song sound a touch more Cat Empire-ish that John Butler Trio-ish. Perhaps that makes them unique. A good fast-paced tune, which although being a over-the-top at times eventually works out. Although the lyrics don't interest me in any way, there are more uses of the phrase right on than in any other song or conversation I've ever heard. Perhaps this says more about me than Cocaine.

23 (Position 5) Betterman by John Butler Trio
After comparing The Cruel Sea to this group, Betterman is not what I had in mind. Betterman is one of the slower JBT tunes and, like every John Butler Trio song, has great vocals, great music and (if you can pick them up) great lyrics. I wouldn't call this my favourite JBT song, but I do like it. There isn't much to say about this song. It deserves it's position in the list, it sounds fantastic and it shows just how talented the JBT are. Enough said.

24. (Position 96) Fuck Authority by Pennywise.
Well, Blogger didn't like my review for this song and proceded to delete it. Luckily, I kept a backup. In Blogger's defense, if I was going to censor any song on this review, it would be his one, both for the name and the quality of the actual song. Here's my original review:

Well, let's see if this name has Machine Gun Fellatio syndrome (that is sounding worse and worse every time I use that phrase. But I never said I'd stop) or is just a piece of garbage. Or both. Probably not neither, but I suppose Sex & Violence has proved otherwise. It isn't neither, I can say that much 5 seconds in. Okay, it's not that bad, but it does sort of fall into the "piece of garbage" basket. The vocals aren't bad, just obnoxiously loud and... I don't know if this will make any sense, but they just sound unnecessary. They just feel like this song was created to make noise. Not sell well, not make a statement but just to exist. With a name like Fuck Authority (which is just truly pointless and obnoxious in definition. They don't mean "Fuck authority" (certainly not in a literal sense, but more in a "Authority should not exist" way). They mean they don't like one tiny, insignificant part of authority which, justified or not, once rubbed them the wrong way. Sigh. Who buys this crap, anyway?), who really expects a good song or even a song that improved my day by listening to it? If you did, please tell me what reading a blog called Red Television means to you.

25. (Position 7) Island In The Sun by Weezer.
Before I listen to and review this song, I'd like to talk about Weezer. Weezer, in the few occasions I've heard their songs are pretty mediocre. They make "not bad" (eg. (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To) and "not good" (eg. Sweater). I don't know whether this song will redefine Weezer in my opinion for the better or worse, or will just offer another song to sit upon the fence. Okay, I actually have heard this song before, but as is so often the case, you just can't identify the artist. Yeah, okay, this song definitely falls on the "not bad" side of Weezer. This is a lazy, rather laid back tune which, for Weezer, is kind of what I was expecting. And then the sound sets in. A very nice touch. A slow steady tune broken up every now and again with an electric guitar or two. Actually, this song is one of Weezer's better tunes in my opinion, but I can't quite decide if it manages to move from "not bad" to "good". So, in essence, this song is on the fence about whether or not it is on the fence. Anyway, not a bad song.

26. (Position 68) Making The Nouveau Riche by Blueline Medic
Unless this song falls prone to anti- Machine Gun Fellatio syndrome (a song made for metal and/or punk fans dressed up like a normal song), I like it already.Okay, it has a good beat, good use of drums, good vocals (or at least decent vocals).  And very interesting lyrics, which get a bit difficult to translate at some stages. This song nearly goes outside my definition of the "right" amount of electric guitar and noise in general, but this song is actually pretty good. Nothing as good as the title suggested, but a good song in comparison to other tunes on the CD. I have absolutely no idea who Blueline Medic are and after hearing this song, I still have no desire to know anything about them. Still, a good little song  It's the kind of song you put on your play list when you want to impress people with how much music you know/like/own, but aren't ready to just buy a crapload of Beatles and Michael Jackson albums. Well, that made no sense, even by my standards. Sorry about that.

27 (Position 59) Hard To Explain by The Strokes
I'm sorry to go off on another rant before even listening to the song (no, not really. I'm not sorry at all) but I do not get the logic behind how Triple J places their music on the disc. Now, Copyright and personal taste may account for a portion of it, but this is just inexplicably. Okay, so it sort of makes sense to only include each group on the CD once. That I can understand to prevent repetition. However, why on earth would the CD contain the SECOND song on the list by the group. As you can see by words 7 lines above, Hard To Explain is at position 59 of the Hottest 100. They have another song at position 66, and why that wasn't included does not need to be explained to me. What I cannot comprehend is why the first song by The Strokes on the list that year, Last Nite was not included, as it came in at position 12. How does that make any bloody sense? What the hell, Triple J? WHAT? THE? HELL? Anyway, moving on. I enjoy The Stokes music. So much so that I cannot name a single song that I have heard by them. But I think I like them...from....something. Anyway, Hard To Explain (which incidentally is the name of a fantastic Cat Empire song, which I won't go into now) starts off with a good beat, rather dull vocals and, as usual, incomprehensible lyrics. Oddly, the best part of the song for me is the beat. Not to say the song isn't good (which it really isn't), but it just is rather nothing. Nothing stands out, I'll forget it several seconds after hearing it and the vocals are by someone who can't really sing. The part of this song I'll remember the most is where it stops suddenly. Sadly, it carries on. I don't really know what's so poor about this song, but it's like an elderly man on death row. It can either have "death" (a bad review for me) and have it done now or give it "life" (a mediocre review) and let the fact that it's rather dull do it in anyway. There we are. A simile which makes even less sense. I'm on a roll today, aren't I?

28. (Position 31) Planet Earth by Eskimo Joe.
This song does the same thing that I just ranted about on the previous song. This came in a 31, while Wake Up by Eskimo Joe came in at 25. I'll skip the rant because the difference is only 6 this time instead of 47, but it still makes no sense to me whatsoever. Eskimo Joe. Great band, but they don't always get it right. This one isn't too bad, but it's not going on my playlist anytime soon. Planet Earth has a gentle tune, decent vocals and a nothing of lyrics that are supposed to mean something (which is fair enough, as it is a song called Planet Earth. Eskimo Joe is supposed to look into their souls for lyrics, disregard them and make something a person who thinks they know everything about everything (such as myself) who actually is clueless (also like myself) can claim they have found the meaning of life/enlightenment/a way of making some money/the reason their life sucks in the lyrics) but actually means less than any other song with a planet in the name. Not a bad tune, but far from Eskimo Joe's best.

29. (Position 69) Up All Night by Unwritten Law
To say the least, the name of this song does not fill me with hope for a good song. Here goes. Yup. Pointless sound, poor vocals and lyrics. I'm not going to actually pay any attention to the content of the lyrics, but I give the group credit for actually having them. Also, what is it with groups using the line "The more things change, the more they stay the same"? It means nothing, and this group, Corinne Bailey Rae and I think even The Herd use it. Three different genres and nationalities. I might listen out for it in other songs.Anyway, the chorus isn't bad, but not worth slogging through the verses for. Who am I kidding? It's not even worth slogging through the name of the song for.


30. (Position 71) Outta My Head by Spiderbait
Spiderbait. Another band who either does it well or shouldn't have done it at all. This particular tune isn't too bad, but is no Black Betty. The same tune all Spiderbait songs seem to have, nice enough vocals and meaningless lyrics which claim the singer is "going out of their head". I don't know if this is a promise, a complaint or just a statement. I should probably quit this review now and pick it up at a later point when I actually could care, but looking at the remaining four songs, I doubt I would ever return. Let's just hope I start giving a crap.

31 (Position 32) Special K by Placebo
Not a big Placebo fan. In fact, I'm in no way a Placebo fan. May the garbage commence. Sigh. It has a baseline. There, that's the most positive comment I can give. Oh, and it has lyrics. Well, now for the bad stuff. Vocals from a person who sounds like they had their nose not only blocked but removed surgically, dull lyrics, general noise which I don't care for. Sigh. Why won't this song end faster? Well, all I can say is that I have absolutely no queries why the cereal of the same name has never used this song in their commercials. I just couldn't do that to people. I'm listening to this song on headphones and I still feel sorry for anyone within a certain proximity of me.

32. (Position 19) Special Ones by George.
Well, we had a James, why not a George? Anyone ever heard a band called Edward? What about William? Well, the singer of George can actually sing, to say something, and that's an improvement on the majority of the artists so far, even some of the better songs. This song is actually pretty good. I can't quite catch all the lyrics, but I like what I hear and the music isn't that bad. The lead singer (who is female, and that's quite interesting as I think Spiderbait is the only other group so far to have a female vocalist. Oh, there were probably others, but I'm not going to go back and listen for them.) has quite a lot of talent. Her name (thank you, Wikipedia) is Katie Noonan, and although I've never heard of her, I might look into some of her other groups. Not a bad song at all. If this album wasn't ten years old, I'd say to listen for her in the future. Hell, I'll still say it, even though she's probably not performing any more.

33. (Position 36) Pyramid Song by Radiohead.
Despite starting out like United States Of Eurasia, this song in no way approaches the talent of Muse. Honestly, I've heard one good Radiohead song in my entire life (Creep) and I think that is all anyone interested them should listen to. Okay, this particular song may not be that bad, it still contains one problem similar to many Radiohead songs: it's so god-damned miserable. I have absolutely nothing against emotional songs. Besides rage that is. Songs which are jut people taking it out on their poor, defenseless instruments is not pleasant to my ears. Misery, however , isn't the worst emotion to feel in a song. The problem arises when every song you make sounds, while not exactly the same, very similar at the core. The main reason for this is that after too much of exactly the same, the emotion starts to dissipate. For example, one of the saddest songs I've heard in a long time is Miserere by The Cat Empire, mainly because it was by a group I never expected it to come from. Nick Cave is also an artist who has miser at the core of many of his songs (just look at "Where The Wild Roses Grow"). But at the same time, he is able to release songs that are more strange than miserable (look at Dig, Lazarus, Dig). Perhaps this is a minor complaint, but I still think it stands. Like Machine Gun Fellatio, I'm basing this off only three or four songs, so it may just be that misery is popular.

34. (Position 27) Fat Cop by Regurgitator
The end is near! I enjoy 75% of Regurgitator songs. The trick, I find, is to completely ignore the lyrics and enjoy the tune. I will not be doing that during this review (unless my mental health is at risk). This song is not going to be pleasant. Honestly, with a title like Fat Cop, I didn't expect much else. An irritating use of electric guitar, poor vocals and basically the same lyrics in essence as Fuck Authority by Pennywise. If you need my opinion on that topic, I suggest you scroll up. Sigh. I don't like this song, but at least the album is over.

In conclusion, the album as a whole is pretty average. I don't feel much needs to be said. The thing that pisses me off the most is the placement on the album. At least 4 songs on the CD set which contains 34 songs were above position 90 on the chart. That is just ridiculous. What I'm considering doing is going to the actual list and listening to the Top 34 and actually giving my opinion on the real Top 34 songs. Hell, they didn't even have the song which obtained position 3! (actually, that one I understand. Chop Suey by System Of A Down is possibly the worst song (after Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit) to get into the Top 3 of a Triple J Hottest 100. The song I really fell should have been on the D was Ben Folds Five's Rockin' The Suburbs, which is just phenomenal at Position 17). Anyway, after finally receiving a comment (which proves at least one sad individual is reading), I would love, once again to know what CD I should review and/or what anyone thinks of my reviewing the legitimate Top 34 songs of 2001. Also, I have just reached 100 views. Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment