Saturday, 25 August 2012

Observations

I've just been going through some of the statistics for the viewer-ship of this blog. There are some things I just can't explain.

Firstly, the three countries which have the most readers are Australia (expected), the U.S (also sort of expected) and, in first place, Russia. I just have no idea why this blog is so popular there. I don't mind or have anything against Russia, I just don't know why so many readers are from there.

Secondly, the popularity of my posts. Blogger shows me the top ten most popular blog posts. Number 1 is "Top 5 Albums: Part 4". That may seem odd on its own, the fourth part of a (so far) nine part series being the most popular. The really strange thing is that no other post in the Top Album series appears on the entire top ten list. This means that a very large group of readers stopped by, read one post in the middle of a series, and didn't pursue it. Why?

Anyway, it has come to my attention that two reasonably big celebrations are occurring for "Red Television" soon. Firstly, 500 views. If I miss this number by more than 10 people, I'll forget about it, but otherwise I'll try to do something.. Secondly, the 1 year anniversary. Honestly, this feels slightly more important.

On the 16th of October, 2011, I delivered the rage filled rant called "A Book" which launched this blog. In regards to how this blog has travelled, I'll be blunt. When I described that I made this blog for me more than anyone else, I was being completely honest. I'm not after attention, although I like feedback for improving the experiences of readers, whether regular or passers-by. I don't make money off this thing, due to the fact I doubt I'd make enough money to justify making the reading experience less enjoyable. I don't have any grand belief that clashes with advertising or capitalism in general, I just like my bog due to it's simplicity. It's the same reason I don't post videos or images. I don't want an irritating mess of colours and videos which just scream "you shouldn't bother reading any of this".

Feedback with ideas for what I could do special for either of these upcoming celebrations would be fantastic. The main things I review are music and books, and I can't really think of anything of either classification that would mark a special occasion.

I'd read another piece of scaremongering claptrap, but I don't really have the motivation. The three most popular posts are of a Herd album, the Triple J Hottest 100 of 2007 (Part 1) and a Fatboy Slim album, so I could do one of those three, but I don't know.

Herd albums are particularly hard to review due to the fact each song tends to be completely different to the previous and the next songs, meaning I can't make any old fashioned generalisations, something I tend to rely on.

As for Triple J compilations, I think I've been through most of the CD's I own, but I could probably dig something up, if necessary.

I recently purchased Fatboy Slim's "Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars" (which I absolutely adore so far), which could make for a good review, or I could go back to "Better Living Through Chemistry" (which I really have not enjoyed), which would probably make for a really lousy review.

I've still got about 28 views until I reach 500 (at a rate of about 0-3 views a day), so enough time to throw some ideas around. I'm repeating myself here, but any ideas will be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I've mentioned it anywhere , or if I need to, but I really wouldn't bother reviewing anything but books and music.

I love webcomics, but I wouldn't even try to put a word of labeling on the majority of my favourites, and movies aren't my thing. Considering the fact that I don't have Austar or a set-top box in a country which I'm pretty sure has shut off their free-to-air T.V. without a set-top box should tell you how much T.V. I watch. That really just leaves books and music.

Anyway, I'll try to post a review tomorrow or next weekend if not that, I might look at a single song. No idea what, but it's been a while since I've done one of those sorts of reviews.

If I haven't mentioned already, feedback welcome.

H. Rourke

No comments:

Post a Comment