To be truly honest, I'm starting to re-think which album I'll make my top one. Presently, there are four competing for the top position in my mind. If I choose one other than originally planned, I'll tell you. The only reason I'm re-thinking it is because I've seen how much I can talk about my other favourites, but I don't know what I could say about this top album. I'll wait until next week to decide.
Anyway, the album I'm discussing today is "The Defamation of Strickland Banks" by Plan B.
I'm aware I've already done a character analysis of Banks previously, but it's perfectly possible for an album to have a good plot with terrible music and vocals (as I predict my review for Plan B's new album, Ill Manors, will describe. The album's in the mail. It will be reviewed soon). Strickland Banks, however, manages to pull off everything perfectly. There has never been such a delicate and well handled balance between R&B vocals and hip-hop, or such a fantastic balance between music and story.
I'm not going to discuss the story of Strickland Banks in detail here. I've discussed it in reasonable depth before, and Wikipedia will provide a decent plot summary for those who are curious here. I will discuss how the key songs I've picked move the plot along.
There are two small weaknesses of this album that I'm constantly being attacked with when I discuss it with people. The first is "Why did he have to ruin a perfectly good song by rapping?" I'm aware this is a statement which reflects the views of people I know, and as thus can't really be answered, but I think the fact that Plan B uses rap, which he clearly sees as more of his kind of music than soul, sparingly and only as a means of expressing extreme emotions. I think the use of rap in small proportions is justified and I like that its something not used in music that often. I'm most certainly not including the bizarre and pointless inclusion of guest rappers on pop tracks as an example of this procedure. Plan B is using his voice as he wishes in his own song, not trying to shoehorn rap where it doesn't belong, which is a hell of a lot of places.
Now, the first song I wish to focus on is the very first, Love Goes Down. This is a fascinating song for me when I was first becoming fascinated with the album. This song, plot wise, sets up Banks career as a popular soul singer who specialises in love songs, with an obvious basis in his own love life. It also sets up his relationship, which comes into play during several other songs, one of which I'll look at also. I love this song because it is just so emotional and loving. This is a clear demonstration of what the album is going to consist of. Plan B isn't going to attempt to be overly masculine and try to maintain his "rep" throughout this album. This album is going to be emotional, deep and reveal a lot about Plan B and his creations. Just a bloody fantastic song.
The next song I want to look at is the third song, "Stay Too Long", as the second song is very similar to the first. The third song is the most plot heavy and is actually my least favourite of the album. The song's plot is basically Banks celebrating some success by partying way too hard, drinking too much, staying out too late and making a series of terrible decisions, which end up with him ignoring his girlfriends phone calls and going to a hotel room with a strange woman. Now, I need to make a very important distinction: "Least Favourite" does not mean "Song I Don't Like". I enjoy this song, and I adore the plot set up here which resolves in the next song. The reason this song scores poorly in comparison in my mind is the fact this song is just so lively. I think this song was sort of made to be a party hit from the album, and I feel it slightly suffers from it. Also, the rap here just crosses the line to gratuitous for me, with Plan B really falling back on it far too often. The best part is how the music reflects the chaotic mindset of Banks, which ultimately forces him into the worst situation of his life. Also, just listen to the sound at the very end of the song, an "augch" sort of vocalisation. Is it frustration, disgust, anger, pain? I'm putting way too much thought into it, but I'm legitimately curious.
The next song is the favourite of most people I know who have heard the album. Me? Not my favourite, but I do really enjoy it. This song is basically the "Consequences Song". Banks got himself into absolute shit. It's revealed he walked out on the girl last night when it was revealed she was more than a little stalkerish. The same girl has accused Banks of raping her out of spite. This song, She Said, documents the court case, with Banks trying to plea his innocence, interspersed with flash-backs to the previous night. The beat is just fantastic, the music video is perfect and it takes no thought to realise why this was the big hit of the album.
The final song I want to look at is track 7, The Recluse. I'm not really sure why this song is my favourite, but I think the violin and sense of fear and anger have a lot to do with it. The previous songs have documented Banks experience in prison and this song documents his tactic of staying in his cell at all times to protect himself. This song sows seeds for several future songs, such as "The thought of killing makes me sick." setting up for "Traded In My Cigarettes". I think this is the kind of track "Stay Too Long" should have been. Foreboding, dark and full of events that would have added meaning later on.
Now, it should be very obvious why I adore this album so much, and just why this is my go-to album for good storytelling.
I shall return next weekend with a final album for judgement. I will probably pick a different album to the one discussed at the beginning, so disregard my comments pertaining to it.
H. Rourke
No comments:
Post a Comment