Well, I have a little free time (correction, I'm making a little time. It is not free, by any means) mid-week, so I figured I'd try and sort out my top album.
I'll be really quick with what it was originally going to be. It was going to be "Lonely Avenue" by Ben Folds, with the lyrics by Nick Hornby. I think the reason this CD was so great in my mind is because of how great is looked on paper. I mean, Ben Folds is a musical genius and I love Hornby's work. "Juliet, Naked" is a fantastic piece of work that portrays a fantastic and realistic, yet likable "stalker-type" and "31 Songs" is the best piece of music analysis I've ever read. If you ever want to see the kind of reviews I wish I was writing, read it. It won't take too long. I read it in 24 hours. On a weekday I did not have off. Moving on.
The reason I found out this album isn't as good as I thought was because I started composing my Top 10 albums of all time. Not necessarily for this blog, it just sort of happened, and Ben Folds Five by Ben Folds Five found its way to position 9. Due to my love of variety, I decided I couldn't have two Ben Folds albums on the list...and I realised that Ben Folds Five was the better album. So clearly, my top album of all time was not really my top album after all.
This leaves me in an interesting position. I have several albums that could possibly take its place. The first is from 1995, and truly deserves a place on this list, but I'm not sure if it should be at the top.
There's also an album from 2011 that I adore, but I really don't know if I just haven't had the novelty wear off yet.
On top of that, there is an album that has a good deal of sentimental value from 2003.
There are several new albums I purchased recently, almost all of which I adore, but I don't think I'm familiar with any of them enough to put them on this list.
Along with these are a few old outliers which never leave my MP3.
I suppose the only way any readers will find out is by waiting around until the weekend. My apologies for both brevity and a lack of content. I'm honestly unsure of which will win, and I'm starting to think this Top Albums series could go over a dozen.
Feedback on my rantings welcome.
H. Rourke
No comments:
Post a Comment