Friday, 24 August 2012

Top 10 UK Artists

I'm going to do a list of my top 10 of something...I really haven't decided what. I've done my top 10 albums, and that was probably the main one I always had on my mind. I think doing just 10 top songs, with no limits, would be among one of the cruelest things I could possibly do to myself. Top 10 artists? Perhaps, but still, I think that one would be rather limiting. Top 10 albums starting with a particular letter? Damn, I'm desperate for ideas. I'll pull something out of my arse for this one, but any ideas would be very welcome.

I've got it! Top 10 artists from the U.K. This can only end well. A point before I begin: This is not necessarily a ranking of my top artists, but rather just a list.

10. The Clash
How can someone not like The Clash? No matter what kind of music you like, they're almost certain to have made something you enjoy in their career. I only own two of their albums, "London Calling" and "Give 'Em Enough Rope", but I immensely enjoy them both. Knowing my love of second-hand stores, sooner or later I'll have the entire discography of the group. I am going to track down "Sandinista" one of these days, if only so I can say I own "Sandinista" and "Contra" (Vampire Weekend). My introduction to The Clash was very similar to another U.K group. One of my friends introduced me to "Spanish Bombs", and soon after, I came upon "Give Em Enough Rope" at a discount.

9. Gomez
I'm really having a hard time making up my mind about Gomez. I somehow ended up with five of their albums before I completely made up my mind about whether I liked them or not. Either way, they are something different, and I am always grateful for something that can be described as such. They seem to fall somewhere between Gotye and Blur in my mind, with elements reflecting conventional rock, but many elements just coming from nowhere. The vocals are probably one of the big pulls of this group, with a style that just really fits into my definition of good music. I'll make up a decision on these guys soon, but they're going in this list until then. My introduction to Gomez actually comes from my love of a different musician. Thomas Newman has written some of the best pieces of music I have ever heard. Just look up "Dead Already" or "Any Other Name" for a sample. I purchased the sound track to "American Beauty" due to the fact it contained those two songs. It also contained a Gomez track. About a year after buying the soundtrack, I found "Split The Difference" in the same discount bin, and just gave it a go.

8. Fatboy Slim
I love Fatboy Slim. If the fact that "Palookaville" has become my most popular review has nothing to do with this psychologically, I'll be damned. I own four Fatboy Slim albums, three of which I adore and the other ("Better Living Through Chemistry") which I have difficulty justifying keeping. Sure, it has a few good tracks, but there is some serious shit on there. Why are all my reviews of good artists focusing on their mistakes? Anyway, Fatboy Slim has produced gold like "The Rockefeller Skank", "Weapon of Choice", "Right Here, Right Now" and pretty much anything on "We've Come A Long Way, Baby". I can't remember how I was introduced to Fatboy Slim. I'd heard "Right Here, Right Now" on an ad for Channel 10 news, and "Weapon of Choice" is in fucking everything. Maybe the fact several Fatboy Slim songs appeared in Daria is how I knew about him. I'll probably never know.

7. Kasabian
This might come as a surprise...to people who have never so much as looked at this blog before. Kasabian holds a position on my Top 5 Albums list, my Top 5 Covers list, and if I ever make it, they are almost set to win the best band name list. Kasabian just have talent. There is no way to beat around this one. No matter if the music is good or bad, they make it well. Good vocals, good music and reasonably lyrics, Kasabian have it made. I only own two Kasabian albums, "Empire" and "West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum", but I'll probably track down "Kasabian" and "Velociraptor" one of these days. I do really like all of their music, but just haven't gotten around to buying much of it. One day...

6. Manic Street Preachers
This is a strange choice. Rather appropriate for a strange band. I first got into the MSP when a friend of mine mentioned the propagandalicious track "If You Don't Act Now, Your Children Will Be Next". I'd never heard of the MSP, but found their album "This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours" (which "Your Children Will Be Next" is off) the very next day. Honestly, I like them for their mix of batshit crazy and disturbingly upfront honesty. A rather strange mix, actually. I only own three of these guys albums.

5. Franz Ferdinand
These guys and Kasabian just go hand in hand for me, despite the fact I don't think I've met anyone who knows of both bands (before meeting me, anyway). They both just seem to be trying to convey emotions more through music than through lyrics of vocals. I think I was introduced to both "Empire" and "You Could Have It So Much Better" around the same time, which probably had more influence than I'm letting on. I only have these guys first two albums, and honestly don't know how many there are.

4. Coldplay
I have certain...words...for Coldplay. MAKE SENSE. Other than that, I absolutely love these guys. Now, I own every album by Coldplay, and I'm rater proud of having a comprehensive collection, but this fact should be taken more to show how quickly Coldplay albums end up in the discount bin rather than I will spend a lot of money on them. Mylo Xyloto was firsthand though. And rather shit. My introduction to Coldplay is probably my favourite of all these groups. I was just watching Rage one night when I saw "Violet Hill" (which is still my favourite Coldplay song). The style of the song just hooked me, and I remembered it when I bought their albums a few years later.

3. Plan B
... in small doses. One of Plan B's albums is among my favourite of all time. I've been meaning to mention this for a while, but I bought his new album, "Ill Manors". The best thing I can say is that it's not as career-crushingly horrible as I expected. It actually isn't half-bad hip-hop for the most of it. I still prefer the R&B Plan B. My introduction to Plan B was actually my mother mentioning that she heard a great song called "She Said" on the Hit List (I miss video hits. I've said it before, but I stand by it). I checked it out, was introduced to the plot of the album, and bought it soon after. Plan B is just awesome...when he wants to be.

2. Blur
I'm of two minds in regards to Blur. On one day, I can hear a Blur song and think "This is just pure awesome!". The next day, I can think the exact same song is pure shit. This is one group I'll never defend, because I can live without them for the large part. I have two of their albums, both of which are pretty good. I, like the rest of the planet, was introduced by "Song 2" to Blur.

1. Lily Allen
I was tempted to put The Kinks or The Beatles here, but everyone likes both those groups, for the most part. Lily Allen is a strange one, especially for my tastes. On the whole, I'm not a big fan of any artist who seems to be really angry for a large part of their career, but I think Allen has just enough soul to keep her on my good side. I really liked "LDN" when I heard it back in 2006, but I think I figured this was a good pick from an average album, and figured I'd be done. Allen of course gained even more fame, to the point where I finally bought her first album last week. Me? Behind the times? Never!

Anyway, that's a taste of my UK tastes. In trying to work out which albums I had of who, I figured out I will never be able to do this with any other country. The UK was just perfect for it. Now, despite the fact I've been watching the tree outside my window write in agony from the wind and rain, I must travel. Wish me luck.

Feedback welcome.

H. Rourke

No comments:

Post a Comment