Sunday, 15 July 2012

3 Songs: Ben Folds vs. Urthboy vs. Blur

I'm back!

Song #1: One Down by Ben Folds (Fifty-Five Vault, 2011, Track 36)

Now, I'm perfectly aware this song was released on "Ben Folds Live", but on the Fifty-Five Vault was the way in which I was introduced to it. It was also the B-Side to "Rockin' The Suburbs", but that's just trivia.

Music first, as always. The song is a little too slow for my taste. What really takes away from my opinion on any aspect of this song is the lack of effort, which I'll tackle in lyrics. Anyway, there is tragically little piano in this track, instantly preventing it becoming anything close to a Ben Folds classic in my mind. There a little tastes of piano here and there, but the song is dominated by guitar, which I really feel doesn't work well with the lyrical content of the song.

Vocally, Folds goes a route I really wouldn't expect regarding the lyrics. He puts a lot of sentimentality into it, with slow and steady complaining taking up the majority of the song. Pretty average.

Lyrically, this song is about fulfilling contractual obligations by writing songs, demonstrated by writing a song just about how he needs to write more songs. Besides being delightfully meta, this just doesn't cut it for me. Why on earth does a slow, sentimental song need to be written about this. Songs need meaning and emotion, and that emotion needs to be shown through the song. If you're angry, write another "Rockin' The Suburbs". That is what's going through my mind. If Folds was doing more than just complaining (which he actually states he isn't doing), he would put some effort into this. It's a short, sweet tune if you just ignore the lyrics, but the laziness and bitching so tightly wound all through this song pisses me off.

Song #2: The Wrong One by Urthboy (Feat. Ozi Batla & The Tongue) (The Signal, 2007, Track 8)

Musically, this song seems to sample some sort of sporting event, or is at least attempting to use a sporting motif, with crowds chanting, drums,a whistle at one point and several lyrical references. I sort of understand it, attempting to follow the concept of "backing the wrong one", both in the sporting context, as well as in underestimating the artists on the song.I don't get the random guy shouting something incomprehensible every now and again, as it just gets irritating very quickly.

Vocally, this song is excellent. Ozi Batla is one of my two favourite MC's, and Urthboy isn't too far behind. I'm not overly familiar with the work of The Tongue, but I've heard a little here and there. The dynamic of the song confuses me a little. Are they insulting each other or the audience? Or is it the public in general? Overall, the talent excels, despite strangely hectic pacing and other strange musical effects in the background.

Lyrically, this song is nothing special. The three MC's are just discussing how they have been underrated (true) and how the general public has put their support in other undeserving musicians and rappers. I can't really fault the message, but as previously stated, the focus of the statements seems rather unspecified. Nice, but not great any way but vocally.

Song #3: Bad Day by Blur (Leisure, 1991, Track 5)

Musically, this song is pretty good. The strange lead in sets a slightly mysterious mood, which is redirected into morbid energy by the introduction of the guitar. The music takes a back-seat to the vocals for the rest of the song, but some electric guitar pops up here and there, as well as the tambourine (I think). I like the mood set and maintained by the music, and I think it says more than any other aspect of the song.

Vocally, Albarn has never appealed to me. No matter what he's singing, he just seems to be whining. Better than most of modern pop though, where the opposite seems to be true. Again, the vocals do a lot for the mood, showing misery and mystery, but with a strange sort of energy behind it.

Lyrically, I'm not 100% sure I know what the songs about, but I think it just seems to be discussing how every aspect of your life seems completely rubbish and irreversibly miserable when you just have a single bad experience. The character seems to be giving up on their life goals, just being difficult. No overall, life-changing message, but an intelligent little observation.

Winners:

Musically, Blur wins this one easily. Neither of the other songs appealed to me much in any way, but I think Folds choice musically was a little kinder to my ears and my sensibilities than Urthboy.

Vocally, Urthboy brings in one of my favourite Aussie rappers as well as some new talent, and although they weren't fantastic in this piece, they certainly win vocally. Folds has a better voice than Albarn, which is the only reason he is getting a place in the winners section.

Lyrically, Blur seems to just want to make a simple observation in an interesting way, and I cannot fault them any way. Urthboy is getting second place here out of pure spite. Why? Because Folds has really pissed me off with that "One Down" shit. Before I say anymore, Folds is one of my favourite artists of all time, and from all interviews I've heard or read, he's a nice guy, but he's treating listeners like shit. This song is basically saying "I could write anything and you'd listen". Tune is falsely sentimental, the lyrics dull and pointless. There needs to be a reason for a song. If Folds was complaining about unreasonable contractual obligations, fine. But he isn't. He outright fucking states this. What he is doing, however, is making pointless observations to music. Again, that could be done well. Instead, he just seems to get bored and singes the lyrics to a seemingly completely different song for a verse. This song is a pointless, insulting, insincere, detestable mess. This is not what I expect from someone with the proven talent of Folds.

Overall:
1. "Bad Day" by Blur
2. "The Wrong One" by Urthboy
3. "One Down" by Ben Folds

Now, this review was brief and angry. Folds really pissed me off with that song. I'm aware it's not a very well known song and every artist deserves at least one embarrassing mess to show some human weakness, but this song just put me in a bad mood for the entire process, even though it spanned a good 20 hours or so. I apologise to anyone expecting better, and I shall attempt to return tomorrow.

H. Rourke

No comments:

Post a Comment