Now, as even the newest reader can probably tell, I have many differing views on music, and almost as many views on reviewing things. This is why it's rather embarrassing to admit I have no idea how I'm going to do these posts. All I've figured out is that this article is going to be portioned out into several parts, each containing no guaranteed amount of albums of words. For example: I might outline all five albums in this post and spend 3 more discussing them, or I might just discuss albums in general for a good 2-3000 words without revealing a single of my favourites. I'll just write until I stop. I can give no ideas.
I want to say something else before starting this list: This is not the list I would give if someone asked me my all-time favourites. There is a simple reason for this. I casual conversation, you can talk only a little about any album you don't know about and you aren't expected to be able to discuss each album off-hand. On-line? No such excuse. I don't intend on talking about every track in a style akin to my traditional album reviews, but I do want to talk very in-depth about each. This entire series is to try something new and avoid my usual cookie-cutter reviews. I'm not saying I don't enjoy them, but I wish to try something different. Going back to my point, two albums, originally holding the positions of 3rd and 5th respectively have been replaced for the simple fact I do not own them, and as such, despite adoring many aspects of them, are unable to write extensively, accurately and passionately about them. These two albums receive the highest of honourable mentions:
Former 3rd Position: Everything Is True by Paul Dempsey (2009)
Former 5th Position: Ragged & Ecstatic by Yves Klein Blue (2009)
I shall discuss both of these albums extensively with the other five at the end of my review, as well as how I was introduced to them and why I have failed to possess them.
The information I have included about both albums will introduce my audience to something that will soon become apparent amongst all of my favourite albums: They are all from the 2000's. This may dissuade many readers from looking into my list further, but it is the truth. I adore the music released recently, and believe it is to be among the best to have graced my senses. I do not wish to state music from any other era lacks value, or that I do not like any music from outside of this era, as both of these tracks are horribly inaccurate.
As I will only be covering years beginning with 2 in my actual list, it is worth noting two albums from before this time which I adore, and which would certainly have made a longer list:
London Calling by The Clash (1979) & Ben Folds Five by Ben Folds Five (1995)
London Calling has received much praise, more than enough for me to not need to type a word regarding its contents, but not as much as it deserves. Ben Folds Five, on the other hand, has not received as much praise as it deserves. Many apparently put this album behind the other two BFF albums (two as of July 2012, anyway). Although my favourite BFF song does reside on another album, both "Jackson Cannery" and "Philosophy" manage to remind me why I love Ben Folds work and why I continue to check for updates on his new album three times a day, all in less than 10 minutes.
A final honourable mention must be given before this list begins, so that my honourable mentions list matches the length of my actual favourites list. This entry is technically two separate albums, but screw it:
Songs from the South - Volumes 1 & 2 by Paul Kelly (1997 and 2007)
Paul Kelly is one of the greatest musicians in Australian history, and the tragic truth is that this is the only album of his that I own, and I despise "Greatest Hits" compilations, for reasons that I will discuss in another article. So, my problem is being unable to put any of this fantastic man's albums n my list as I haven't heard any, but still wishing to tell the few who pass by this entry that he is more than worth the time or money which you would invest in listening to Kelly's music. I can't put the talent exhibited in Kelly's music into words, but his skill in conveying story, character and overall talent are nothing compared to his skill in conveying the most important aspect of music in my opinion, emotion. Through whatever means he feels is necessary, Kelly can give his songs an emotion impact that would rival events I've experienced myself. Love or loss, pain or joy, a lesson for the future or a exasperated joke, Kelly can convey anything he wishes to, and that is a skill I can appreciate, acknowledge and envy with ease.
Well, I've talked enough about other topics. Before I give away the title of the album which opens the list, I should give a little background to why I appreciate it so. When the lead single from this album was being circulated like a virus, I was going through one of the largest upheavals in my life, completely changing my city of residence. Although I adore Canberra, the move was none the less painful. I can't say that the music from this album made the move easier by any means, but it has meant that every track has memories woven throughout them.
And with that introduction, I introduce:
West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum by Kasabian (2009)
I'm not going to do my typical track-by-track analysis, as a lot is unnecessary to describe, as well as being impossible to describe. The opening tracks is among the most memorable to me, "Underdog", of which I can only remember a single line:
"I got my cloak and dagger in a bar-room brawl..."
This line just seems to describe the entire album in a way. Strange and bizarre, with many elements seemingly misplaced or shoehorned in, but soon reveal themselves to be vital to the sound this album creates. I'm not even going to discuss the stranger elements, but the best I can do is to say that the entire concept for this album is based around an old asylum, which should say more than I ever could.
Although I try not to like albums just because of a single track, I must say there is a definite stand-out in this album: "Fire". Whether its the cool, almost distracted vocals, the disturbing imagery and ideas, the shouted single line chorus or a combination of all three, "Fire" is one of my all time favourite tracks.
I'm sure I'll return to the actual music of the album, but I'd like to take a moment to discuss several aspects associated with the album which give it the bizarre and almost disturbing atmosphere so many other groups would give entire members for.
Let's start with some names. The mane of the album? Based on a series of asylums from the 1880's. Strange, but not what I was thinking of. One of the strangest ways in which this band associates itself with the dark and disturbing is the name of the band. Kasabian is taken directly from a character central to the activities of the Manson Family, Linda Kasabian. Again, dark, but not that bad. The word Kasabian, however, is derived from an Arabic word meaning slaughterer. All those factors put together, and the eeriness of the band has been established, without them so much as picking up an instrument.
Next is the artwork of the album. I'm neither an artist nor a good photographer, so much is probably missed on me, but there is a hell of a lot of symbolism and elements which are just a little...off.
Firstly, the main feature of the photo is the four members of Kasabian in costumes. From left to right, the first man appears to be dressed as a historical ruler. My first thought is Napoleon, as he has a symbol on his chest coloured red, white and blue (you know, those three colours that seem to make up the flags of a fairly large portion of the world). The man next to him is dressed as priest, with dark circles around his eyes. First guess is Rasputin, but no real factor carrying that supposition. Next is a man dressed in thick furs, staring intently into a large golden ball. Nostradamus, perhaps?. The final character has a red piece of cloth wrapped around his lower face, with a glass ball in his mouth. He seems to be wearing clothing all with white and blue stripes. He is also holding a book, which I'll discuss in a second. I have no idea who this man is supposed to be, but the impression is disturbing all the same. Now, the book is "Labyrinths" (and anyone who's mind went first to David Bowie should slap themselves), which is a collection of short stories of an author named Jorge Luis Borges, an author I am unfamiliar with. The title of this book makes it suddenly apparent that the entire cover work is taken in a mirror, with the shoulder of the man dressed as Napoleon clear in the left side. The golden ball of the fortune-telling chap reveals a strange view of the room, with the mirror only being a small part of a sprawling area of bookcases and blank walls.
I will continue more with the third Kasabian album tomorrow, but I feel this is enough for anyone to digest for tonight.
As always, any feedback is welcomed and longingly wished for, and I'd love to see some Top 5's of readers. Ah, dreams...
H. Rourke
No comments:
Post a Comment