Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Webcomics

A smart man once said that if you don't think what you're making is that interesting, just link to something guaranteed to be a time sink (far from an exact quote). With this in mind, and 23 minutes until tomorrow, I'm going to give links to some of my favourite webcomics. All links will be to the very first comic released, and all will be reasonably PG. Please give it a good look, even though all of these comics first pages are far from what they have achieved.

Firstly, my favourite: Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal. This is a comic full of wit, charm and decent art.

For a comic in a similar vein, but less to look at and slightly more intelligent, see xkcd. Another hilarious, witty piece of work.

In a slightly different direction is Something Positive. Somewhat more adult, but just as witty. Whereas in the other two comics, you could just click the random button, this comic is a story. Beginning to most recent. It's the only way to read it.

Finally, in a completely different direction is Irregular Webcomic. Although I'm not as big a fan as the other ones, this is a completely different experience. Lame puns, childishness and just general fun. Wit? Not really. Plot? More than I expected but still not much. Worth a look.

Finally, DM Of The Rings. This comic has actually concluded, but it is brilliant.I received a link to it one afternoon and had it finished by the same time the next day. I must admit, I've never read any Tolkien books other than The Hobbit and have not really seen the movies, so this is really the most attentions I've ever paid to Lord Of The Rings. The premise of the comic is Lord Of The Rings as if played through as a role-playing campaign. Shamus Young, the author of both this comic and the only blog I frequent (other than this one) on a daily basis, actually set of this as a genre. I have been addicted to the same premise applied to Star Wars and One Piece, if anyone is interested.

Of course there are many more, but I have only six minutes until I fail my self imposed challenge. Please give feedback if you wish for more recommendations in the same vain as any of these

H. Rourke

No comments:

Post a Comment