Well, I've cut back on The Kinks albums, but I can't guarantee that they won't turn up, or that this might be another Kinks Special Edition. I'm always nervous dealing with older, popular music because the older it is, the more people are aware of it and the more respected it is. I swear, if Katy Perry of Justin Beiber had been around in the 60's, they would be held up as gods of music for some people. Anyway, let's begin.
Song 1: Some Nights by Fun (I'm not going to call them "fun." Bloody hell)(Some Nights, 2012, Track 2)
Okay. This is going to take a moment. Now, I was first introduced to Fun (seriously, I am not calling them "fun.") by Todd in the Shadows (if you like music criticism, check him out now. I mean, seriously, my blog is bullshit compared to his work. Just open a new tab, close this one, and archive binge on his videos) in his discussion of Fun's We Are Young and Gotye's Somebody That I Used To Know, both of which are good songs by any standard, although neither really are the group's best. Todd gave Fun a decent review, so I kept an ear out. Then, yesterday I was listening to "The Hit List" (so I can be grateful that the music I listen to is the voice of angels in comparison to the shit normally on this show. My stand out stinker is "R.I.P" by... I dunno, but whoever the woman who "sang" this song is, I will try to avoid her work... if I remember the name, that is) and I heard "Some Nights". Fuck me. I'm very critical of modern pop music, because most of it scares me, as a large portion of the population enjoys it, but this song blew me away. I absolutely adore it and gave the album a shot straight away. A smart move, I must say.
Musically, this song is absolutely breathtaking. The vocals coming in before the music, the driving drums contrasted with the gentle piano, the generally grand sound of the entire song. The first thing I thought when I heard this song was "Coldplay wishes they could sound like this", and I stand by it. Everywhere Coldplay is relaxed and passive, Fun is strong and alive. I think Coldplay would stand by their style, as it certainly sets them apart, but if they had the option to sound like this song, I doubt they'd pass it over easily. Any long-time readers should know I love Coldplay, but this song is extraordinary. I can't fault this song musically at any point.
The vocals of Ruess is the driving force behind this song. No matter what the music is doing, the vocals and lyrics are where attention is drawn. I have only one real complaint with the vocals, and that is on the word "lie" near the end of the song. I'm not sure if it would be called auto-tune or what, but it sounds horrid. Ruess has a fantastic voice overall, and I will have to check out his other projects to see if this magic carries over. I doubt it, but if so it's certainly worth checking out.
The lyrics of this song are very interesting, not really telling a story, but offering snippets into the mind of the narrator, who discusses life, luck and his thoughts on the concept on love, all of which are interesting. The line "When I hear songs, they sound like a swan, so come on." draws my attention as it references the sound a swan makes... I'm not sure if I'd compare that to any music I listen to, but whatever floats your boat. There's a lot of really interesting and colourful imagery and interesting ideas discussed in this song, so maybe give the lyrics a read if you're so inclined. Interesting, if not really coherent at points.
Song #2: It's All Right by The Kinks (Kinda Kinks, 1965, Track 15)
Musically, this song stands up pretty well. The music is busy, developed and contains a harmonica. I must say, I'm a fan of a well played harmonica. The drums really stand out here as well, being the introducing part of the song. Not too bad, suits the lyrics well enough and is just fun. No complains here.
This is honestly the strongest I've heard Davies voice so far. I think the main reason for this is his voice is much more matched for this basic, 60's rock kind of tune rather than his more musically and lyrically complex tracks. Definitely a stand-out in the Kinks discography for Davies vocals.
The narrator has wings. He's gotta fly. You may be asking yourself why he's gotta fly, but he knows why. To see his baby. After repeating this he then, despite his apparent flight capabilities, gets a ride on a car. I really don't quite get why h needs his baby to take-a him home when he can fly, but I suppose I just don't understand the dynamics of their relationship. The narrator, however, reassures me repeatedly that it's alright, so I suppose I shouldn't worry. I think I've covered everything here.
Song #3: (Theme From) Dr. Pyser by Ben Folds Five (The Unauthorised Biography of Reinhold Messner, 1999, Track 12)
So. Y'know all the talking about how magnificent Folds' song-writing is? Or how about his voice? Well, fuck that! This is an instrumental! Yup, Dr. Pyser is, as I understand it, meant to be the theme to a non-existent American Cold War-era spy movie. Now, I have only one real complaint about this song, and that's the fact that on the Australian release of Reinhold Messner (a.k.a. the copy I own), this song is the last song. So, after the slow and beautiful "Lullabye", which ends the album on a gentle, quiet note, BFF basically goes "That was nice, wasn't it? What do you think of this?" and completely ruins the atmosphere. Not a complaint about the song I suppose, but certainly about it's usage. The track itself manages to contain a lot of Folds' style despite for the most part completely lacking his voice or lyrics. The track is fun, lively and clearly the work of a group like BFF, but at the same time is clearly a well thought out song, with many elements and effort has gone into the thing. I recommend giving this a listen if you can track it down somewhere, as I really don't feel all that capable of conveying what the tune actually is, although it is true I can't do that for any song, it is most obvious here. Finally, the name of this has always interested me. Who is Dr. Pyser (or, as my lyric book claims, Dr. Psyser)? I somewhat doubt he's a hero, as few spies seem to have Dr. before their names, but is he a goodie or a baddie? Is the hero killing him, protecting him, working for him, kidnapping him, hunting him, pretending to be him? I enjoy the concept, and like the name, as well as the song.
Overall:
All three songs were very strong musically, and splitting hairs is difficult. I think The Kinks probably come in third. It's really tricky to compare the two remaining artists as their genres are quite distant, or at least their styles are, but overall I've got to give this one to Fun. mainly because I haven't heard their song enough for it to lose the novelty.
Vocally, Fun wins instantly, as although Davies was stronger than usual, he just couldn't compete.
Lyrically, Fun are instantly winners. The Kinks and BFF are tricky to differentiate here. Although the BFF piece had no lyrics, that is possibly better than the Kinks lyrics here, but I suppose The Kinks should get runner up.
Winners:
1. Some Nights by Fun
2. It's All Right by The Kinks
3. (Theme From) Dr. Pyser by Ben Folds Five
If Pyser had lyrics, it would have come second easily.
Feedback welcome.
H. Rourke
No comments:
Post a Comment