Well, I was trying to think of what would be a good first anniversary celebration post, and this was my second best idea, so I decided to commemorate the end of the post-a-day period with something special.
To start off with, these songs are probably not going to be my all time favourites. I'm certain that whatever I write here I will think otherwise within 24 hours, so this is my Top 5 Songs on October 14th, 2012, nothing more nothing less.
A clause I've given myself to prevent repetition is that none of these songs can be from albums in my Top 5, just for the sake of talking about new music. So what's on the list?
Song #5: Sunset by Powderfinger (Vulture Street, 2003, Track 6)
I'm not actually going to talk about what I like about each of these songs so much as how I found out about them. This track was on a hits CD someone gave me once, one of these "Now" or "Fresh" albums. Overall, I'm not a big fan of them, as just so much of them consist of lousy pop, but occasionally there are little gems like this. By 2003 or 04 or whenever it was, I had clearly heard some of Powderfinger's work but nothing had struck me as much as this track. I don't doubt that I've heard a lot of Powderfinger at least as good as this song, but this was the first, and that means a lot to me. The lyrics are pretty good, basically saying "pull your bloody head in, you idiot", which is a good moral for many songs.
Song #4: Sad Rude Future Dude by Ball Park Music (Happiness and Surrounding Suburbs, 2011, Track 3)
I originally became interested in Ball Park Music after hearing this song on Triple J one day. Although I'd heard iFly and wasn't overly impressed, this made me think again, and Rich People Are Stupid made me pick up the album, if only to say that I owned an album containing a song with that title. There isn't really a moral for this song, but it does basically discuss the increasing distance between people in the technological world we live in, and the lack of social skills people possess. This may or may not be the song which best describes me, although I'm sure there's something less sad that would do it. Maybe.
Song #3: The Angry Mob by The Kaiser Chiefs (Yours Truly, Angry Mob, 2007, Track 2)
Before I discuss this song, I need to point out that Wikipedia has a page called Angry Mob completely unrelated to this song. That is kind of awesome. Now, I first became familiar with Kaiser Chiefs with their to date most successful hit Ruby, which I liked the sound of, but the lyrics just sounded like rubbish, so I didn't really become fascinated by this group until this song came along. I just adore the imagery of this song, of a large group of people so easily controlled, yet unable to control itself. Kaiser Chiefs music has been called mindless pop, and I really disagree with that. Sure, every song might not be a mini-thesis, but they at least try to put a fair amount of thought into the majority of their songs.
Song #2: Now We Can See by The Thermals (Now We Can See, 2009, Track 4)
This song is just awesome. This has life, rage, frustration and fun all in one fantastic package. I know no-one who doesn't enjoy this song. I heard this song first, like so many others, on Triple J, and this is tragically the only Thermals song I've ever heard on the station. Anyway, this is the tune that eventually had me purchase two Thermals albums, and I haven't looked back for a second. If the group hadn't released this one, slightly different, song, I never would have been interested in their music. Thank God for odd choices.
Song #1: Army by Ben Folds Five (The Unauthorised Biography of Reinhold Messner, 1999, Track 6)
This song is the best track Ben Folds has ever made. This represents the best of his career. I'm not saying for a second that his career after 1999 was pointless, and he created many other excellent tracks, but this is my absolute favourite, due to the autobiographical content, sense of humour, fantastic use of instruments, wordplay and just the urge to learn the song off by heart that this song exudes. Now, I'd like to talk about Ben Folds albums. I love Reinhold Messner, but I'd have to put Ben Folds Five as the best Ben Folds album of all time. It just has a more cohesive, stronger sound. I first heard this song after beginning to research just who Folds was after hearing You Don't Know Me and Underground. Thank you, YouTube, for introducing me to BFF magic.
I apologise for a relatively brief post, but I have work to do. I promise a decent attempt to celebrate a year on Tuesday, and hope anyone reading had as much fun on the post-a-day as I did. Adios.
Feedback welcome.
H. Rourke
No comments:
Post a Comment