Let's see how much Kinks we have today. I tried to swap a few of their albums out, but there's still a ton on my MP3 player. You all like The Kinks, right?
Song #1: Day Too Soon by Sia (Some People Have Real Problems, 2008, Track 3)
Ah, Sia. It's about damned time she turned up here. Let's start with the music. Now, honestly, the music for this track is rather bland in comparison to a lot of Sia's work. The beat is slow, and the tune almost mournful, but the music really doesn't do anything for me. I adore Sia, but I can't say much positive for the music of this song, other than that it's slow and sad. With all of Sia's albums (bar perhaps We Are Born) every song is stronger in it's album's context, as the previous and following tracks really bring out the best in it. Not terrible, but Sia's done a lot better.
Vocally, Sia is wonderful. Sia has appeared on some dreadful songs with some rubbish musicians (I am NOT talking about Zero 7, who are magic) but her voice has made even those tunes bearable. Although in most songs Sia puts on some strange accent it's absent on this track, which is an interesting change. Sia has a nice, strong voice, which is significantly stronger than many female vocalists. With some female vocalists, if the wind changed directions you'd think you'd be unable to hear them, but Sia can belt it out like nothing else, even on quieter songs. That ability isn't exactly showcased on this track, but you can hear it here and there.
Lyrically, this song doesn't have a narrative (or at least not a narrative as I read it) but it does tell a kind of story. The lyrics describe a relationship between two people, with one being strong and protective and the other keeping the first one going, being their motivation and keeping them going. It's a sweet song, and has some interesting imagery, but I really can't understand for the life of me why this was the lead single from this album. I love Sia, and I like this song, but it's album filler, pure and simple.
Song #2: From Little Things Big Things Grow by John Butler, Dan Sultan and Missy Higgins (Before Too Long: Triple J's Tribute to Paul Kelly CD 2, 2009, Track 13)
Well. Shit. Shitshitshit. This song is awesome. Just...awesome. Any questions? On to song three? Please? Fine, let's unpack this magical, magical bastard.
Musically, this song represents the most famous achievement of Paul Kelly, and I understand why instantly. This song covers one of the more inspiring events in the history of Aboriginal Australians since the first fleet, and (as my Special Treatment article demonstrates) Paul Kelly clearly has great feelings for this issue, but manages to package this tune in an easily digestible way that is much less confronting than tracks like Special Treatment, which are on the same topic. Now, to compare the original and this version musically, I'm torn. I don't like live music albums, as a rule. If I want to hear irritating people screaming strange things throughout a song, I'll listen to more bloody metal. The fact this is a live recording doesn't phase me for a moment though, as this song is always going to be superior to tipsy attendees. Really, this cover ups the awesome of this song, making it a much grander spectacle, and I respect that, and there is more talent than imaginable here, but I think Kelly's understated, folksy-rock original gets the message across in a way that had much more longevity.
Vocally. Kelly vs. Butler, Sultan and Higgins. He could take them one on one, no contest, but against all three? Of the three challengers, Butler is my favourite, as Sultan is a little bit smokers-voice for this sort of song and Higgins... well, Higgins is a strong female vocalist, but in this song it's like the audience offended her and she's determined to shout them down. But the fact that these three voices alternate, allowing each to show their strengths more than their weaknesses makes them a powerful force. Overall... a tie, indeed, as I cannot choose which is superior.
Lyrically, I don't have to make a choice as the two are the same. Now, the song tells the story of the Gurindji Strike. This song is big, for those of you outside Australia. This song is used in primary schools to teach children about land rights. When I talk to people about Kelly it goes "He did 'Deeper Water'". "What?" "O.K, 'Special Treatment'?" "Nope." "'From Little Thing Big Things Grow'." "Oh, THAT Paul Kelly! Why didn't you say that?". This song is currently being used in an add for some insurance company. Fuck, this song is covered by John Butler, Dan Sultan and Missy Higgins simultaneously, and that is all you need to know about this song.
Song #3: Nine To Five by The Kinks (Soap Opera, 1975, Track 4)
Of course they have to be in here. I'd be surprised if I made a 3 Songs without them at this stage.
Musically, I really love Nine To Five. Although the song starts out rather slow, with backing vocals kicking in, the beat speeds up slightly, but keeps the slow pace of the song. The misery and drudgery described in the lyrics is matched well musically. I approve.
Vocally, Davies is far from bad, but the backing vocals are what really brings this song alive to me. Having another voice to compare to Davies makes the character sound sad and desperate, which is exactly what the character is supposed to be. I love that even the vocals contribute to telling the story.
Now, to explain the lyrics, I should probably discuss what the album "Soap Opera" is like. The album basically tells the story of a musical legend called "Starmaker" who decides he will make a star out of an everyman as a challenge, choosing "Norman", taking Norman's place in his life. This song tells the story of Starmaker's first day at Norman's job, slowly being driven insane with the monotony. The whole album is over the top, melodramatic and zany. It's bloody fantastic. This individual song is very nice musically, but the whole point of the song in the larger story is practically told in the title of the song. The song does a good job providing imagery to describe exactly how dull the work is, but there's nothing spectacular in this particular song.
Overall:
Musically, the Kelly tribute stands out easily, and I think I've got to give the Kinks second place. Although Sia is a fantastic and talented artist, this song is far from her best.
Vocally, Sia wins, as although this song isn't her best, it still comes with her wonderful voice. The Kelly tribute group comes second, as although Davies is better than his usual, he's not as good as Australia's best.
Lyrically, Kelly will always win. It's a tough pick between the Kinks and Sia here. Both songs have some great imagery, but overall both just say one very simple thing. I'm going to have to go Kinks here, due to the part that song has in the larger narrative they're trying to tell.
Winners:
1. From Little Things Big Things Grow by John Butler, Dan Sultan and Missy Higgins
2. Day Too Soon by Sia
3. Nine to Five by The Kinks.
Not much to say beyond that, is there?
Feedback welcome.
H. Rourke
No comments:
Post a Comment