Thursday, 4 October 2012

3 Songs: The Presets vs. The Killers vs. Fatboy Slim

Let the songing begin!

Song #1: This Boy's In Love by The Presets (Apocalypso, 2008, Track 4)

Before I start talking about this song, let me talk about The Presets a little, as I don't think I've discussed them before. Now, in 2008, I was listening to Triple J and heard a wonderful song, a song I've never forgotten. That song was called "My People". Sadly, I misheard the artist, so after spending a fruitless week trying to find out a little about "The Preludes" (I do want to see a band by that name one day), I finally caught a break and heard about the Presets. I received Apocalypso as a birthday present a couple of weeks later, and it was my favourite album of all time for a while. Now, "This Boy's In Love" is not my favourite track from the album. Nothing off the album is bad by any means (a feat not repeated in their new album, Pacifica), but "This Boy's In Love" was just as popular (or at least as played on the radio) as the far superior "My People" and I really never got over that over-saturation. Anyway...

Musically, this song is fantastic. Everything is making a sound. That is the only thing that comes to mind. Everything is making a sound, but every sound sort of blends together into a single beat. I have to say that this song borders so closely on being obnoxiously dance music, but there is enough there to appeal to people like myself who really don't dance to music. Just my view on it, anyway. It really just sounds like a regular song put through some kind of process to speed it up, dancify it, electronify it and present it to the public. I t does work really well, I must say, although I would absolutely love to see this song reproduced by a group with a drum-set, a guitar, a keyboard and a vocalist or two. It would make a really interesting tune.

Vocally, I don't think either Preset's voice would work outside of their genre. The angry tones of this song really emphasise the harsh sounds occurring at the same time. The vocals work for this song, and I suppose that's the important thing. I would honestly just pass over this song so easily if it didn't have vocals, but that's a comment probably true of a lot of the music I listen to.

Lyrically, the Presets have a habit of really beating around the bush, using over-dramatic phrases, elaborate metaphors and just generally making the song hard to follow, and in the end they're just walking around in circles, and you never work out if there is a bush or not. I think the song is about a young couple leaving home to take their chances in the "big city". The music really gives a "driving through the city" vibe, and if that is the story, the entire song makes a lot more sense to me.

Song #2: Why Do I Keep Counting? by The Killers (Sam's Town, 2006, Track 11)

Musically, this song is spectacular. I'm aware that as an album , Sam's Town was much more stripped back than Hot Fuss, and when I hard this I figured it meant that the songs would be less over-the-top, less dramatic and generally less epic (in a more literal sense, as a long and elaborate story, rather than my usual use of the term). Thankfully, this song is a single example of how very wrong I was. Mattafact, Sam's town is more lively and dramatic than Hot Fuss with songs like these. This song starts out very quietly, with what I call almost a fairytale element, which is slowly introduced into the rest of the song with a steady drum beat and by the end of the first chorus, the song is in full swing. The music definitely is the main force creating the drama of this song, but I'll get to that soon. Musically, this song is brilliant as the rest of The Killers discography.

Vocally, Flowers is the perfect front man for this group. If Flowers ever left, I doubt I would recognise the group. Although the music is dramatic, elaborate and over the top, it would be nothing without Flowers confident, controlling vocals which add all of the emotion to the song, without which it would very easily be seen as pretentious.

Lyrically, this song is not easy to interpret. Overall, I can't draw out any specific narrative, but I think this song focuses on the theme of the inevitability of death, or perhaps merely change. The song's title is referenced only once in the song, in the line "I all our days are numbered, why do I keep counting?", to give some idea of where this song is coming from. The problem with songs about death in any form is that they either become way too whiny or way too sentimental. This song is anything but whiny, as assured by the fantastic beat and charismatic vocals, and any sentimentality is only there for those who seek it, for the most part being a pretty awesome piece of American Brit-rock.

Song #3: Give The Po' Man A Break by Fatboy Slim (Better Living Through Chemistry, 1996, Track 6)

Musically, Fatboy Slim has been discussed before. My first experience with attempting to explain what Fatboy Slim's music was like is documented in my surprisingly popular "Palookaville" review. I also tried to talk about one of his other songs in a 3 Songs post, but I don't remember which one. Now, I own 4 Fatboy Slim albums. 2 I absolutely adore. 1 I really like (Palookaville). The other album, however, I can survive without. Can you guess which album that is? That's right, the one this song is off. To be fair, this was Fatboy Slim's (his real name is Norman Cook, and he will be referred to as such for brevity's sake from here on in) debut album, and that requires a fair deal of acceptance, as he wasn't quite sure what he was doing. It really does not mean I have to like it. The album consists of two kinds of songs: The enjoyable, such as "The Weekend Starts Here" and the unenjoyable, such as "Punk to Funk". This song lies square in the middle. There is better, and there is much worse. Now, the actual song consists of a single line of lyrics, so this is sure as hell not getting a vocals or lyrics paragraph. The track relies mainly on that single line, with the music enjoyably varied in the background. The music is a little dull at times, but it changes often enough that you don't feel to bogged down. There really isn't anything else to say. Sorry.

Overall:

Musically, I have to go with The Killers, as they represent genres I enjoy much more than the other two. It's pretty easy to compare Cook and The Presets, as they (narrowly) inhabit the same genre, or at least the same audience, and for this track The Presets are clearly superior.

Vocally, The Killers. The Presets aren't too bad, but Flowers is one of my favourite vocalists, especially of musicians still active. As there really weren't any vocals or lyrics in Cook's piece, he isn't going to be mentioned anymore.

Lyrically, both of these songs really aren't so much about direct narrative, but more sort of letting people come up with their own ideas of what the songs are about. Or I'm just really thick. Although The Presets present a rather interesting concept, I have to give The Killers the prize here, for their subtle mentions of a subject which has drawn many a whiny bastard to preach to his audience for a good four-five minutes. Restraint acknowledged and greatly appreciated.

Winners:
1. Why Do I Keep Counting? by The Killers
2. This Boy's In Love by The Presets
3. Give The Po' Man A Break by Fatboy Slim

Feedback welcomed

H. Rourke

No comments:

Post a Comment