Tuesday, 9 October 2012

3 Songs: Maroon 5 vs. The Kinks vs. The Kinks Again

Hoping for a shorter title this time, and if possible, a Kinks-less one. I imagine that means that all three songs are going to be Kinks.

Song #1: Until You're Over Me by Maroon 5 (It Won't be Soon Before Long, Track 13, 2007)

Let me take you through a few albums I own. I own all 5 Coldplay albums. I can't say I really proud of that. I own 2 Good Charlotte albums. I'm not proud of that. I own a Hoobastank album. I own an Everclear album. I own a Spin Doctors album. I own a 1200 Techniques album. Fucking hell, I own the single "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba. But none of these are as shameful as possession of a Maroon 5 album. This is not because of the album itself. The album is pretty good. I am ashamed of this album because of what Maroon 5 are today. I mean, seriously. Moves Like Jagger and Payphone? What the fuck where they thinking? I liked Maroon 5 because they had class.  Their songs were good, all their music videos were well made, even the cover off of this album was cool. The second I saw Adam Levine dancing shirtless in front of the American flag I knew I could never take these people seriously again. I own one Maroon 5 album, and with the possible exception of their debut, I have no intentions of owning another one.

Musically, this song is really fun. That is one thing I can give Maroon 5. Their songs can vary from brilliant to shit, but they seem to enjoy making them. This song is upbeat, lively and has a great build from the slower opening to the great conclusion. I'm not quite sure why this was a bonus track, as I think it would fit in perfectly on the normal album.

Vocally, a lot has been said about Levine's voice. Personally, I think it works perfectly for the kind of music he makes. If he tried to be taken more seriously, to pull some Nick Cave-esque material out, he'd be sorely disappointed with the result, but for relationship-based pop it works perfectly, and is perfectly demonstrated here. Seriously, Wiz Khalifa on Payphone? What were they bloody thinking? Sorry, back on track.

Lyrically, this song is about the same thing everything on this album is about. Relationships. Specifically, sex. This album is an anti-breakup album. This is a sex album. Meh.  This song is about Levine refusing to have sex with a woman because he's too in love with her. Yeah, makes perfect sense. He's scared of regretting sex with this woman because he's too in love with her. I.. sort of get it, but I think this is a rather vague concept. Is he scared she's just using him? Is he scared of just using her? Are either of them already in a relationship? What's stopping them being together, especially if they want to be together, and at least one of them is in love with the other? This song raises a lot of questions, and not in a good way. The Maroon 5 usual.

Song #2: Misfits by The Kinks (Misfits, Track 1, 1978)

Well, good to know that The Kinks will haunt me to the day I die. At least they're not a bad group.

Musically, this song is a little sad. The music is slow, emotional and nostalgic, and I imagine there is a lot of emotion behind it, but just reading the lyrics I really imagine this song as either a really fast, fun rock 'n' roll tune, or else a really camp, over the top Bowie-like number, as in Soap Opera. Instead we get neither. The Kinks take themselves way to seriously with the music to this song, putting a little too much emotion into it. The music for this song really doesn't grab me, but that may just be me.

Vocally, this is Davies. What the hell else can I say? Again, he plays this song way too straight when I either want to hear an old rock number or a campy Soap Opera tune. In the end, I just really don't like how he does this song.

The story of this song is really weird. This strikes me as one of those songs where the group had a moral taken from a really specific, personal experience and instead of writing about that experience they try to make the moral vaguer to appeal to a wider audience. Before I try to talk about said moral, I really like the line : "You set out to outrage, but you can't get arrested." which I really hope is a reference to an old O. Henry story, although it may not be. The problem I have with these lyrics is the meaning of the word "misfit". I think "misfit" means that kid in school who sits on his own and reads Karl Marx rather than, as this song is attempting to say, someone who has given up on life. Yeah, there are some common elements, like "You go your own way" and "Why don't you join the crowd?" but overall, The Kinks are clearly talking about a different kind of personality that really isn't covered in my mind by the word "misfit". I can't give a word for it, but it seems the character described in Ben Folds' "Bastard" seems to be more what The Kinks are talking about. Two things could explain this. Firstly, it could be a British thing, although I sort of doubt that, as the word "misfit" pretty much is exactly what it says on the tin - someone who doesn't fit in. Secondly, this song is from the 70's and perhaps it meant something different then, although I think it boils down to The Kinks going "What's a word for this? Misfit? No, not quite... I suppose It'll do until we think of it." and writing their song anyway. The story goes that your life is not yet over, live the day, carpe diem and fuck off. Not my kind of song, to say the least. They could have made this campy and fun, but noooo, they had to make it dead serious. Bloody hell.

Song #3: Yo-Yo by The Kinks (Give The People what They Want, 1981, Track 7)

Well, I can't say I wasn't exactly prepared for this, but it's a Kinks vs. Kinks post after all... with a side of Maroon 5. Never mind

Musically, this song really has a lot more personality then Misfits. Although the song starts off a little slow, by the end of the second verse, it's in full pop-rock mode, which is all I god-damn wanted from the previous song. This song has a beat, life, volume, pace and just personality. Have fun making sense of that. I know I can't.

Vocally, Davies clearly gives a shit here. The louder the man gets, the weaker his voice is, but it's a fair trade-out. Davies varies from verse to verse to chorus, giving emotion and passion to the song. I have no idea, based on music and vocals alone, how this was not a single from this album. This song bloody rocks.

Lyrically, I was sort of nervous what aspects of a yo-yo would be explored. Knowing the Kinks, I was thinking it would either be "She treats me like a toy" or "I just keep coming back". The first aspect gets a mention in a verse near the end, and the first one is subverted, with the line "You don't know which way I'll go" which, honestly, makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than most yo-yo based metaphors or similes, but I sucked at yo-yoing.  The majority of the song, however, is in discussing people getting stuck in routine, doing the same thing over and over again. I sort of get it, but when you realise the fact that yo-yo's are very easy to stop using, the metaphor is not the strongest one, but it makes reasonable sense. I must say, by the end of the song, the word yo-yo had no meaning to me. By the third listen, Davies was just making strange noises with his mouth for half the song. This song, as I've already mentioned, has personality. It may not be the most thought provoking, but fuck that. This song makes bloody sense, and what more can I ask? Well, a lot. And I have. But I'm comparing three songs here, and this is the first to be even slightly thought out lyrically.

Overall:

Musically, Misfits can just piss off. I hate that song now, especially because I really like The Kinks (no shit, they've only been in about a weeks worth of posts) and like it when they make good music. So Misfits is out. First place is going to Maroon 5. It was really close, but Maroon 5 excel at their music... on that album while The Kinks manage to make their songs enjoyable through other methods. Yo-Yo, of course, comes second.

Vocally, I've got to give this one to Levine. Not the greatest voice in the world, but pretty good. So... Davies vs. Davies. I'm going to go with Yo-Yo as although Davies has a better sounding voice in Misfits, he sounds as though he doesn't give a shit, and the song is supposed to be emotional and all that stuff. If it can't make the singer care, why should I?

Lyrically, let's face it, none of these songs are Shakespeare. Poor lyricism doesn't prevent songs being good (although it seems a necessary part of being popular, as The Hit List demonstrates 99.9% of the time). As for lyrics, Yo-Yo wins straight out. The metaphors, although in places seem weak, at least make sense. I think if your talking about a couple becoming distant with age (as the first two verses are), perhaps a yo-yo isn't the best comparison available, but I get what they were trying to say. Second is a tough pick, but Maroon 5 wins, just. Although the lyrics raised some questions, and didn't quite demonstrate the relationship between the characters, it made some kind of sense, which is always nice. Misfits... that word does not mean what you either think it means or are trying to convince me it means. Misfits is... not good.

Winners:

1. Yo-Yo by The Kinks
2. Until You're Over Me by Maroon 5
3. Misfits by The Kinks

I think artists should be here once or three times. This shit just makes the title look awkward, more so than usual.

Feedback welcome.

H. Rourke

No comments:

Post a Comment