Before I begin, I must comment that I have finally received the new Ben Folds Five album, and although the thing is great and has fantastic artwork, it didn't contain a lyric-book, and I'm really pissed off about that, because there are a few lines I can't quite catch and the internet is no help at all. Seriously, all lyric sites for "The Sound of the Life of the Mind" (the song) contain ??? halfway through the thing, so no-one knows. No big deal, though. Well, time to compare 3 completely different songs and somehow expect to have definite winner, despite differing genres. Here goes!
Song #1: As Time Goes By by Frank Sinatra (Takin' A Chance On Love, 1996, Track 3)
A couple of things first. Obviously this song was not actually recorded in 1996, and I believe that it was actually first recorded by Sinatra in 1961, but the only album I know for certain the song is on is the album I have mentioned, as I own it. Then let's have a little look at who has been on 3 Songs over the past few days: The Hilltop Hoods, Sam Cooke, Ben Folds and now bleeding Frank Sinatra. I'll take a hell of a lot of shit about my musical tastes, but no-one can accuse me of lacking variety. Well, they can and have, but they are wrong.
Musically, this is one of the very few songs which seems to be musically based around a violin and a piano, and it works fantastically. The music is strong but clear and does a great job of accompanying Sinatra, as well as the lyrics. The music is soft and gentle where it needs to be but can also be louder of quieter as appropriate, which is exactly everything it needs to do.
Let's face it, the vocals are the drawing force here. It's Frank Sinatra's voice which will bring people back here again and again. I wouldn't really bother saying much about the voice itself. If you are familiar with Sinatra's voice, it's that. If you aren't go out and buy/download a Sinatra album. I don't recommend this album so much, as (as the name suggests) it consists mainly of slow love songs, and I only bought it because it was on special. Go get something with a little more life, if you can. A great voice, but not everyone's kind of music.
Lyrically, this song is a lot more interesting than I initially gave it credit for. The music, the artist and even the title just sort of imply that this will be a dopey love song, and that element is certainly present too. The basic concept of the song is that people will always fall in love, things will always be like that, no matter how much the world changes. What I like is what the song says pretty plainly: your love isn't that special. Yeah, sure, it's sweet, but "A sigh is just a sigh". This has been infinitely before you came along and will be done infinitely after you're gone. Also, I really like the claim that emotions are always present, love, jealousy and hate. I may look like I'm trying to find why this song is being mean to people, but really I'm just enjoying the elements of this song that aren't dopey love lines, and there's actually a fair bit to find. Colour me impressed.
Song #2: Gravity by Noise Addict (it was never about the audience, Track 13, 2009)
I'm starting to think the theme of this 3 Songs is going to be "How did that get on here?", not in a bad way, just in an unexpected way. Noise Addict is a Ben Lee side-project, and this album is completely free to download, and is definitely worth it. SUBTLE LINK. Also, Lee's making making a new album using PledgeMusic which I have put money towards, and I definitely recommend any fans put money towards because Lee is cleaning out some of his unreleased tracks on updates, so basically you're getting more than just a single album.
Musically, this song is really good. Everything about both this song and this album shout "simplicity" and this song definitely shows that this does not necessarily mean dull. The guitar is definitely the stand-out here,matching the tone of the lyrics perfectly. This is going to come up in the lyrics, but this song is remarkably short, at 1:56, so there really isn't that much to say about it.
Vocally, Lee is expressive and interesting in his singing, but I can't say his voice is that impressive. It certainly matches the tone of this song, in which Lee strikes a real surf-rock sort of tone, but I will admit his voice has annoyed me a little in the past. Not much, and I still adore the vast majority of his work, but Lee's voice is not his strongest quality.
Lyrically, this song is very simple. I'm very cautious to write any song off as "meaningless", and I have no direct intentions of doing so to this song, but it beats around a very small bush for quite a while. I think the moral of the song is to stop stressing, likening stress to gravity, saying it will keep you down and ignoring stress makes you feel free... or something like that. The song is just so bleeding short, it's really hard to take much out of. Not bad, but a little vague.
Song #3: Love You Most of All by Sam Cooke (Hit Kit, 1960, Track 8)
You have to be fucking kidding me. Cooke vs. Sinatra? Sadly, no, it's a mattafact.
Musically, this is pretty damn simple. I have the song on repeat whilst writing this review, and if I take my headphones off for a while, take a break and put them back on, I couldn't tell where the song was without the vocals. That is not a good thing.
Vocally, this is Sam Cooke. I'll save the Sinatra comparison for the overview, but Cooke is a phenomenal singer. He normally has rather shallow lyrics, poor instrumental accompaniment and lacks imagination in all fields, but holy shit he can sing. Just magic.
Lyrically...huh. Okay, why do you love her, Cooke? Three reasons? She can dance. OK, that's a pretty weak argument, but fine. What next? She "moves" and "thrills" you. Erm... let's write that off as an emotional connection. That's a fantastic response. What else? "When we walk down the street all the fellas go 'wooo weee'". OK..she's attractive. Huh. Okay... Let's get to the point. Shit might have been different in the 60's but "she's hot" and "she can dance" are not the definitions of fucking love. If, as I suggested, the second and fifth verses (they repeat) are about an emotional connection, that's great, but I'm pretty sure he still either talking about dancing or appearances. I understand that everyone judges on appearances, but I really do not qualify that as love. I understand that this may only be my own understanding of both morality and this song, but I'm open to feedback. The song isn't bad, just the thinking behind it.
Overview:
Let's do the easiest first. Noise Addict is a definite winner in music, as they seem to be putting the most effort into accompanying the vocals. Sinatra comes a distant second, due to the enormity of Cooke's not even trying.
Vocally. Fuck. Fuckfuckfuck. Sinatra or Cooke? I'm not going to do an overall judgement of the artists, just the songs. Honestly, Sinatra puts a lot of emotion into his piece, but Cooke really brings his song to life, so this goes to Cooke, with Sinatra at his heels. Be quiet, Lee. The big boys are talking.
Lyrically, I have to give this to Sinatra. I cannot say any of today's songs were very strong lyrically, but at least Sinatra had a few dimensions behind his song. Noise Addict comes second, as they managed not to piss me off, which seems to be a harder and harder feat to achieve.
Winners:
1. As Time Goes By by Frank Sinatra
2. Gravity by Noise Addict
3. Love You Most of All by Sam Cooke
I understand that music had a very different purpose and audience in the early 60's, but the fact that I can imagine this song as a parody by modern artists should say everything you need to know about it. I'd like to re-emphasise, as I try to always do after a close call, that the artist as a whole is not on trial here, just the one discussed song. I really hope I never have to compare Sinatra and Cooke again.
Feedback welcome.
H. Rourke
There are two known recordings of As Time Goes By from Sinatra. The first was recorded on March 14, 1954 and another version on September 12, 1961. The song was first released in on Point of No Return from 1962.
ReplyDelete